Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went on a 200 mile 2-up ride today for lunch averaged 44 MPG best yet! I don't know what the issue is but when I ride alone I only get mid 30"S... :)

·
Registered
445 Posts
Went on a 200 mile 2-up ride today for lunch averaged 44 MPG best yet! I don't know what the issue is but when I ride alone I only get mid 30"S... :)
Wow it is so odd that you stated this. I was going to say I wonder if those that ride two up have less wind resistance. I think riding alone the wind hit the rear seat and slows the bike hence less mileage MPG. Because I am not getting in the 40's but I still haven't have the chance to put many miles on the new parts in the motor yet to find out if I get better MPG than before the motor got rebuilt.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow it is so odd that you stated this. I was going to say I wonder if those that ride two up have less wind resistance. I think riding alone the wind hit the rear seat and slows the bike hence less mileage MPG. Because I am not getting in the 40's but I still haven't have the chance to put many miles on the new parts in the motor yet to find out if I get better MPG than before the motor got rebuilt.
I was being sarcastic. I know why, my wrist turns a lot farther and faster when she is not on back! On a side note, I noticed a noise on the way back home today, my bike now makes a noise between 60-65 mph that sounded like maybe my front belt pulley just barely scraping it's cover. I discovered if I pull the clutch in the noise disappears, I believe it is tranny noise as it only makes it in 6th gear. Motor still running great at almost 10,000. I did have 1 backfire today.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
1. you happened to catch a good tail wind today
2. It takes 4 times as much fuel to go twice as fast
3. People tend not to go WFO with a passenger
4. you were distracted and did not fill the tank up all the way

On this forum we obey the laws of physics young man!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1. you happened to catch a good tail wind today
2. It takes 4 times as much fuel to go twice as fast
3. People tend not to go WFO with a passenger
4. you were distracted and did not fill the tank up all the way

On this forum we obey the laws of physics young man!

I pick #3 in my case.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I was being sarcastic. I know why, my wrist turns a lot farther and faster when she is not on back! On a side note, I noticed a noise on the way back home today, my bike now makes a noise between 60-65 mph that sounded like maybe my front belt pulley just barely scraping it's cover. I discovered if I pull the clutch in the noise disappears, I believe it is tranny noise as it only makes it in 6th gear. Motor still running great at almost 10,000. I did have 1 backfire today.
Hehehe. faceplam. I wonder if that is the same noise I had at times. It sounded like a jackhammer sound for a few seconds at a time, sometimes faint and sometimes loud.
Also I still think it's wind drag...
Maybe it's the extra twist of the throttle, now I am confused.......

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Hehehe. faceplam. I wonder if that is the same noise I had at times. It sounded like a jackhammer sound for a few seconds at a time, sometimes faint and sometimes loud.
Also I still think it's wind drag...
Maybe it's the extra twist of the throttle, now I am confused.......
I notice a drop in mileage when I ride around in Sport Mode. It does use more gas and the better response makes me “romp” on it more. That being said, I think it’s combination of Sport Mode & single rider. Who cares if you’re having fun right?!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts