Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, first post here under the Road Star section. I'm a proud 650 classic owner and did 19,000 mikes in the last 18 months. The 650 was a starter bike and now I'm looking to upgrade but I'm on a budget.

There is a great looking 1999 Yamaha Road Star XV1600 for sale for blue book and nada values. She has 7000 miles and a new rear tire which seems a little weird to me as I have almost 20,000 miles...

Anyway, my concerns are highway traffic w/ this bike, I tend to sit a lot and burnt a stator last summer, and how long do these babies last?

Any particular issues with a 14 year old bike?

Thanks

mk

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Well DC, the Road Star isn't water cooled so maybe getting stuck in DC traffic in July might have you considering a water cooled (with fans) machine. Regarding the new rear tire at 7000, it can happen, trust me :)

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Tires that are 14 years old should be replaced even if they look good.
Get the sn# and check it for the transmission recall. Any good dealer can check for you, there is a online site for this but off hand I cant think of it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks,

I can get the serial # and check the tranny site, and I am leaning toward a liquid cooled bike due to my troubles last summer here in DC Traffic but this one is so beautifuly set up it keeps calling me - LOL

mk

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
The 950 will be hard to beat and there is a world of difference in it's performance over the 650. In heavy stop and go the water cooled with take it better, The older RS will more than likely puke gas from the carb's in the heat.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Set your idle a little lower. Roadstars can have carb puking issue, get the AIS delete kit for $20 and it will solve those issues and you'll be fine on very hot days. I haven't done AIS delete yet and I ride it in extremely hot weather and have not suffered from carb puking yet, but i've heard of quite a few that have.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FatJay, what the heck is Carb Puking? Sounds awful!

mk

·
Registered
394 Posts
Carb puking is fuel excess shooting out the intake of the carb. AIS and fuel pump removal and it's good. It's not very common but it does happen. It's more of an annoyance than a real safety hazard, i've heard of a lot having it happen, and no one burst into flames yet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts