Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Administrator
14,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I know the clutches on the Victorys are nutoriously heavy...to the point where it will snap the cable...so I'm guessing Indian is using the same set up. When I had my Highball I replaced mine with a Barnett Cable (fortnine.com) it was a whole new world. Super light and smooth, totally worth the $150 I paid for it at the time. Maybe something to look into?
how does a different cable make the pull easier?

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Less friction in the housing combined with a stiffer housing so you have less loss in the movement of the housing during cable pull.

·
Registered
2000 Yamaha V Star 1100 Classic Canadian Edition
32 Posts
What Jspree said. Also, if anything gets into the cable housing at all it increases the friction...even dry lube spray. :/

·
Super Moderator
7,627 Posts
It certainly has a lot of interesting things about it, I continue to read positive things about the Indians. It’ll be interesting to follow along as you continue to get more familiar with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
Looks good but I'm partial to the flat black. It will take a little to get really comfortable with it but shouldn't take much. We bought ours (2018 Chieftain darkhorse converted to a Roadmaster) in September 2019. I agree it does sit higher than the 950 & the seat is wider causing to reach farther to touch the ground. You'll enjoy it just as much as the 950. I'm going to follow to see how you make it yours.

Reactions: Boog and bevo1981

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Indian claims the Chief has 120ft/lbs stock but numerous owner dyno charts have proven that to be flat out false and closer to 100ft/lbs.
That maybe a torque at crankshaft vs rear brake torque (dyno) difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
14,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
i've ordered and received most of the goodies i'm putting on, and here's some i just dropped off for paint yesterday. paint's going to take about a month. in the mean time i'll be customizing whatever else i can so i will still be posting updates.

here's the passenger seat i added on. seat plus sissy bar/luggage rack (not pictured) were less than $400 through TCMT store on Amazon. if i had purchased the exact same items through the Indian accessories site: $965+. robbery.

on the back of that is an arrowhead cover (jamisonscustoms.com) for the release of the passenger seat. the pin on top is covering the bolt hole and stays on through a magnet - $65.

pictures haven't been great here as most of the ones i've been showing are meant to be a 'before' and once the final stuff starts getting on i'll take some quality photos outside.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
9,438 Posts
i've ordered and received most of the goodies i'm putting on, and here's some i just dropped off for paint yesterday. paint's going to take about a month. in the mean time i'll be customizing whatever else i can so i will still be posting updates.

View attachment 100303

here's the passenger seat i added on. seat plus sissy bar/luggage rack (not pictured) were less than $400 through TCMT store on Amazon. if i had purchased the exact same items through the Indian accessories site: $965+. robbery.

View attachment 100304

on the back of that is an arrowhead cover (jamisonscustoms.com) for the release of the passenger seat. the pin on top is covering the bolt hole and stays on through a magnet - $65.

View attachment 100305

View attachment 100306

View attachment 100308

pictures haven't been great here as most of the ones i've been showing are meant to be a 'before' and once the final stuff starts getting on i'll take some quality photos outside.
Looking good. Seat matches well. Arrow head is a nice touch. Are you changing the color of the trim pieces? Powder coating?

Reactions: Boog and bevo1981

·
Administrator
14,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
some pieces getting powdercoated, others getting cerakoted. was going to go with ceramic coating the exhaust but there is a limited selection of colors to choose from unless you want chrome or black. i'm going with something different this time and cerakote currently has greater flexibility with that.

·
9,438 Posts
I'm really interested in seeing how the cerakote works out. Every I read is positive if applied correctly. Looking forward to detailed upclose pictures and your impressions on quality of finish.

·
Super Moderator
7,627 Posts
I’m interested in the cerakoating as well, keep doing the updates, this is interesting. The arrowhead is a nice touch too. Why don’t you debut the bike at our 2021 Rally?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
14,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I'm really interested in seeing how the cerakote works out. Every I read is positive if applied correctly. Looking forward to detailed upclose pictures and your impressions on quality of finish.
when i dropped off my exhaust heat shields at the paint place the guy suspected they may have been coated with cerakote. when researching places to use, the applications they are marketing are heavily geared towards firearms for some reason. there's tons of products that looks to benefit from it, and even the shop i'm using pretty much just lists firearm stuff on their website. don't know why.

I’m interested in the cerakoating as well, keep doing the updates, this is interesting. The arrowhead is a nice touch too. Why don’t you debut the bike at our 2021 Rally?
i poked fun at Les for bringing his Harley to this year's V Star meetup. it just seems a little sacrilegious.

anyway, here's what i did last night. replaced the black trim on the fenders with carbon fiber from Pep Boys - $20.

·
9,438 Posts
Nice accent with the carbon fiber. Was it very hard to get on without bubbles?

·
Administrator
14,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Nice accent with the carbon fiber. Was it very hard to get on without bubbles?
not sure where bubbles would come from. it's molded plastic trim with carbon fiber paint and some kind of clearcoat over it. i used a heat gun to make it more pliable and easy to bend while applying.

·
9,438 Posts
not sure where bubbles would come from. it's molded plastic trim with carbon fiber paint and some kind of clearcoat over it. i used a heat gun to make it more pliable and easy to bend while applying.
Thought you had put the carbon fiber tape over existing molding. I've seen others use the tape and have a difficult time getting it to lay down real smooth.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts