Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Administrator
14,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
well i hit a significant delay in things. paint shop called me yesterday to announce they are going out of business and wouldn't be able to do any of my stuff. so i picked it all up and now have to find another shop.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
9,438 Posts
well i hit a significant delay in things. paint shop called me yesterday to announce they are going out of business and wouldn't be able to do any of my stuff. so i picked it all up and now have to find another shop.
Bummer. There's lot of businesses going under in Houston. Folks are just not going to the brick and motor stores. The trend is to order on line thus not supporting the local folks. Hopefully you find another vendor quickly that can take care of you.

·
Administrator
14,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
well i found another shop. 2, actually. one shop does powdercoat and ceramic/cerakote but doesn't want to go through the hassle of creating a custom cerakote color. so i found another shop to just do the cerakote. here's some of the challenges that we've been trying to figure out -

1)some of my pegs/floorboards are chrome plated and some are already powdercoated in black. to really get the color i'm wanting for those to be powdercoated it is best if they are all chrome. so i just ordered new chrome parts to replace the black ones.

2)some of the parts i want to match those are plastic and therefore cannot be powdercoated because you have to bake them in an oven and they would melt. so i'm getting some of those in cerakote and i'm spray painting the other parts myself. one of these parts getting cerakote has multiple challenges all on its own so we are going to have to modify it to make it work.

3)there are multiple series, or types of cerakote as each series has its own specs and levels of resistance to heat/UV/abrasion/corrosion/etc. the kind i need is pretty much the most expensive kind and doesn't have a long shelf life (cerakote quotes 1 year while the shop says the paints become useless after a few months if not used by then). therefore, shops don't offer very many colors in it because it's expensive to test and create new colors/formulas and keep a bunch of options in stock. this has really been the main obstacle in getting the color i want for all my parts. it started with me wanting my exhaust in a custom color and spread out from there.

4)some of the parts getting cerakote need a special gloss applied to try to match the powdercoated parts as close as possible.

5)my original goal of having all these parts with one color is now looking to have 4 different shades of this color since we need to do 4 different types of applying it. hopefully it will all look good as a whole when on the bike, but there's no way to tell until then. should have everything painted in 4 weeks.

6)i received an original quote from JetHot a few months back of $300-400. thought this was a very general email estimate without them seeing most of the parts.
then i was quoted by the 1st shop about $800 for both powdercoat and cerakote.
today i was just quoted $1375 for just the cerakote parts. the paint itself is $500. can we get some more of that stimulus money??

in the mean time, here's a sneak preview of something getting added on...

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
9,438 Posts
With a slightly different shade of cerakote and paint it might actually be a good thing. As lights hit different surfaces at different angles it changes the hue every so slightly on like painted parts. This normally highlights certain areas to the eye. You are just going to enhance effect a little. Years ago I did some black chrome on a bike. The pieces I had done that were already chrome definitely had a different hue than the raw metal pieces I had done. It looked good and had a lot of compliments on it. On your sneak peak, it's enlightening. Gotta admit, had to go pack to your first posts to make sure recognized what part it was.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts