·
Super Moderator
3,274 Posts
Did not think of that. Duh!

·
Administrator
14,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
so i constructed this paint booth in my garage which is just 2 bathroom curtains hanging from hangers. i scuffed then primed the pieces i painted. some of them took multiple tries. at one point i forgot a piece was hanging from the garage door so when i closed the door it flung the piece to the ground and i had to redo that. the cylinders on the ground had to have several coats of paint because when i laid them down like this the paint would pool on the top and around the bottom and then peel off the bottom when i lifted them up after they had dried, but i didn't have room to hang them up for painting to do better. but i think they turned out all right. next step is coating them in crystal clear enamel.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
10,207 Posts
Looking good. The more you do, the better you will get. Another tip that helps, shake the can really, really, really good. You will get a more even spray of pigments and more even coating. Also, if cold outside, take smaller parts in house to warm them up before painting. The paint will lay down smoother.

·
Administrator
14,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
still working on painting the same parts, still waiting on parts back from the pros. here are some pieces in the middle of the process between paint and lacquer. i've re-done each piece at least twice by now, some due to me messing up, some due to realizing there is a better way after the fact, and also learning that the clear coat enamel i was using is completely the wrong product to provide protection for the painted pieces. if i just looked at a piece the wrong way then the enamel would get some chip or knick that would show the paint or metal underneath. lacquer from Rustoleum looks to be much more durable but i have now decided to re-do everything again because spray painting is proving to be very difficult to get an even surface coat on. so i'm going to go to filling the spray canister top with paint and then using a brush to paint it on. hopefully this will be the last iteration and i'll post again once i'm satisfied with the finished product. but here are some pieces that have paint but no 'cover'.

·
10,207 Posts
That's looking really good. Have to start calling you Vincent van Gogh.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I've got a buddy with a Indian Chief Vintage and I'm trying to picture some of the parts @bevo1981 is painting. Hopefully when it's done and back together he will post the before and after pics. :giggle:

·
Administrator
14,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
whelp. battery's dead. killed it. i guess you're supposed to charge/trickle about every 2 weeks while in storage {i've never stored a vehicle in my life as i use everything all year round}, i was doing it every 3-4 weeks since i last rode it. i last fully charged it at the end of last month but now it won't charge up at all. either that or my charger is being dumb, but i'm sure it's because i should have been doing it every 1-2 weeks. what a simple thing {enter rant} and makes me hate batteries that we can't yet invent a battery that can sit for a few weeks without constantly maintaining it. do we still live in the 1900s? i got a lithium iron battery for my other bike which supposedly can go for up to a year without losing its charge it but i'm not about to test that out.

·
10,207 Posts
Bummer. Battery might have been on way out. Wonder if it's the original, if so has a little age on it. Time to buy a trickle charger after you get new battery, they are pretty cheap.

Reactions: faffi and bevo1981

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha XVS650 Dragstar Classic and 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
924 Posts
A battery, even a new one, can die instantly at any time from an internal short. That is usually what has happened to a battery that will not take charge. Unless there is something on your bike draining the battery, charging it every two or three months should be plenty in my experience.

·
Super Moderator
4,014 Posts
I put mine on a trickle charger once month while my bike is in storage. No issues at all.

61 - 80 of 106 Posts