Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 04 650 Classic out for the 1st time this year. It started right up and sounded great. I pulled out on the road and headed for town to fill up with fuel. It was running great. I came to a red light, and when the light turned I took off. Nothing hard, in fact I was just easing along the whole time. Anyway, when I went from 1st to 2nd, I thought I missed the shift, but it turns out that's not at all what happened. There was a slight clunking noise. I coasted into a nearby parking lot for some preliminary inspection. The bike goes into gear and the driveshaft turns, but something in the final drive/differential is broke. Pinion gear maybe?

Anyone ever have anything similar happen? I have 12K on the bike. I don't have any sign of fluid leaking, but I also did not check to see if there was fluid in there.

Any help/advice is appreciated!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dave!

I have been all over the web these last couple hours looking at and reading anything I can find related to this. It seems that having the splines strip on the final drive is not too un-common. I'm hoping to get time to tear mine the 1st of next week. I'll post updates as I go.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts