Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just bought a 2007 vstar 650, I rode it the other day, got about a block from home and it just died dead, got it home and after further investigation, there was no fire to the plugs, so I replaced the ignition coils, still nothing, I noticed that the headlight now does not come on either when I turn the key on, So,,, I turn key on, no headlight and it does crank but wont start, Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Think I read a thread here or on the savage forums about these little starters don't need much to crank, so could be low battery. You think car, headlights 'may' come on, but no cranking. But these little starters don't need much. Hook up a battery charger and see if that changes the headlight situation to give you a ... starting point :rolleyes: not intended.

I'm sure the ignition system has some type of fuse. Check for that, and check for whatever grounds may be around. You check for spark while cranking, after you do the work?

Just some ideas.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, Battery is fully charged, It cranks fast as well, but no fire and no headlight, the headlight did come on with the key before, but not now. Somehow I think they are related in some respect, i'm just stumped.

·
Registered
163 Posts
On my 650 Classic turning the ignition 'on' has never turned the headlight on. Only the brake light, speedo, and front turn signals light up. The head light itself doesn't light up until the bike actually starts. Maybe yours is different.

If the bike has been running and you hit the kill switch the head light will stay on (until you turn the ignition off).

·
Registered
43 Posts
+1 on the headlight '09 650 classic. Headlight doesn't light with key, only when started.

Just a guess, but bad plug wires?

On my 650 Classic turning the ignition 'on' has never turned the headlight on. Only the brake light, speedo, and front turn signals light up. The head light itself doesn't light up until the bike actually starts. Maybe yours is different.

If the bike has been running and you hit the kill switch the head light will stay on (until you turn the ignition off).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts