Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 650's final drive coupling stripped ( XV535 swap what year? ) PICS ON PAGE 2

Got my bike 2 weeks ago. Its an 04. After a complete fuel system clean and new battery, and plugs she is up and running. Come to find out the seller didnt tell me that the final drive pinion gear was gone.

I have a lead on a xv535 final drive for $70 so i can do the pinion gear swap. Its from a 1990 XV535.

Will that year XV535 work on the VStar-650?

Or should I just buy a new coupler and weld it to my final drive pinion to save money?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I would assume they didn't change through the years. I would go for the newest one I could get a hold of. You could compare part numbers of different years on the Yamaha web site parts book to confirm.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would assume they didn't change through the years. I would go for the newest one I could get a hold of. You could compare part numbers of different years on the Yamaha web site parts book to confirm.

Right on. Thanks.

Ive also read where some folks say you can just weld a new coupler to the chewed up final drive pinion. Havent seen it though.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Not sure what part is stripped out on your bike. If the pinion spline is stripped I wouldn't weld on the pinion gear. the heat of the weld would make a weak spot at the weld and make it prone to breaking. Don't forget to apply grease to both ends of the drive shaft when you install it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not sure what part is stripped out on your bike. If the pinion spline is stripped I wouldn't weld on the pinion gear. the heat of the weld would make a weak spot at the weld and make it prone to breaking. Don't forget to apply grease to both ends of the drive shaft when you install it.

Gotcha. I'll do the XV535 Pinion swap. Should get it in this weekend I'll report back on what happens with the swap.

·
Registered
164 Posts
any year 535 will work. and the instructions arent exactly clear, but make sure you use the ring gear (still attached to the plate).
Also make sure to check the splines on the driveshaft too. AND use a high moly grease (honda moly 60)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
any year 535 will work. and the instructions arent exactly clear, but make sure you use the ring gear (still attached to the plate).
Also make sure to check the splines on the driveshaft too. AND use a high moly grease (honda moly 60)

Gotcha. I scored that 1990 XV535 complete final drive in excellent shape for $70 shipped. Along with a new coupler for $24 shipped. Im in it for less than $100.

Going to have a friend mill me me spanner wrench at work to take off the spanner nut. If we can't make one there is always a screwdriver and hammer. Should have it all by Thursday of this week.

The drive shaft splines are in good shape. It;s only the pinion that is eaten up. From my understanding is that you get rid of the 650 ring gear and shims and replace everything with the XV535 stuff.

I don't have any of that Honda grease but I do have some Marine grease which should work just fine in this application. Every other oil change I will check the lubrication of the coupler.

·
Registered
164 Posts
try to find a high moly content grease. it will help the splines from wearing out.

as for the tool, I used a 4wd hub socket and a torque wrench. the wrench will just fit

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The final drive from the XV535 I got arrived yesterday. Gears are in perfect shape. Cleaned it up some so its ready to go for the weekend.

I made a little U-shape tool from .250 flat aluminum stock. The slots on the lock nut are .233 so I had to just sand down the tabs on my tool until I had a snug fit. Held the drive in my vice and used a crescent wrench to get the nut loose.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got it done over the weekend. All in all took me about 2 hours as I took my time and enjoyed a few beers as well.

Followed the instructions posted here earlier. But in my case I could not use all the shims from the Virago final drive. On the pinion gear I had to use the existing shims from my 650 in order for the gears to mesh right. if I used all the XV535 shims it would bind up.

Bike is up and running. I appreciate your guys input. I got it all done for $97 bucks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts