Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Started with a 2011 950 Tourer with about 1,000 miles on it. The plan started with wanting fuller fenders, but mostly it's to have a winter project. I figured I'd start this thread to document my project. I really enjoy learning from all the folks here, so chime in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Good deal, there is a lot you can do to the 950. The first custom 950 I laid eyes on was Bevo1981's.
Do you know what look you are going for? I'm sure we can help you spend some bucks
your photo's are to small for me to see much detail.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So here's the to-do list:

V Star 950 Mod List

Wiring:
* FuzeBlocks FZ-1
* Charging Port
* Floorboard Lights
* Hazard Lights/LEDs/Switch/Flasher
* Rear Fender Vertical Brake Light Strips
* Rear LED Strip Turns
* Saddle Bag Lights
* License Plate Frame/Bolt Lights
* Horn
* Garage Door Opener
* Turn Signal Mirrors
* Triple Play
* Front Fender Side Running/Turns

Bolt-Ons:

* LED Headlight
* Control Extensions
* Driver Backrest
* Grips & Throttle Boss
* Speedo Face
* Ivan's
* Cobra Muffler
* Air Intake
* ECU
* Handlebar Clock
* Chin Fairing
* Fender Tips
* Passenger Floorboards

Maintenance:

* Oil Change
* Brake Fluid Change
* Fuel Additive (later)

The Real Work:
* Front 1100 Fender Fitment
* Rear 1100 Fender Fitment
* 1700 Taillight Fitment
* License Plate Frame Fab
* Rear Brake Light Strip Fab
* Filler Strips Fab
* Luggage Rack Fitment

Paint:
Satin Brown: Martin Senour 50557
* Tank
* Fenders (2)
* Side Covers (2)
* Headlight Bucket
* Saddle Bag Accent Trim (2)
Satin Black:
* Fork Legs (2)
* Headlight Ring
* Headlight Upper Cowl
* Dashboard
* Speedo Trim Ring?
* Speedo Visor
* Tank Accents (2)
* Gas Cap
* Coil Cover?
* Front Cylinder Head Cover
* Rear Cylinder Head Covers (2)
* Tail Light Trim
* Chin Fairing
* Fender Tips (2)
Black Magic Powder Coat:
* Fork Covers (2)
* Triple Tree
* Bars
* Risers (2)
* Levers (2)
* Floorboards
* Rear Brake Lever
* Heel/Toe Shifter
* Sissy Bar
Black Satin VHT High Heat:
* Full Exhaust

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good deal, there is a lot you can do to the 950. The first custom 950 I laid eyes on was Bevo1981's.
Do you know what look you are going for? I'm sure we can help you spend some bucks
your photo's are to small for me to see much detail.
Thank you Sir. I bet you can. I fixed the photos. :smile:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here are the two 1100 fenders test fitted. The front is just going to be a matter of filling two holes and drilling two more, then paint. The rear one is going to take some fabrication. But it's all good. This is as much a project about working with my hands as anything else... It's about the journey, right?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
And stripped down for paint... Still have to get the tank drained. Gonna leave it on until the fitment of the rear fender is done, so the seat fits. The airbox is going away, so I'm leaving it on to keep the shop dust out...

·
Super Moderator
6,414 Posts
Looks like an awesome winter project huntpro! Love the rear fender, and please keep us updated with pics, etc. Can't wait to see the finished product.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Here's an image that has inspired me. Going to fab some fillers to bridge the gap between the bags and the new fender. Instead of regular run/turn/brake lights, I'm going to do LED strips that run up those filler strips. Probably up the middle of them though, unlike the photo.

Also going to add this luggage rack. They don't make it to fit, so I am going to have to weld some mounting tabs onto the fender, but since I am working up the fender anyway, kind of not a big deal.

The paint scheme is going to be satin black paint or powder except for the tank, fenders, headlight bucket and the two small rounded side covers (under the seat), which will be satin brown. Not touching the frame or the factory finish on the luggage rack, which are gloss black.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Oh yea, that's what I like ta see too. Looks like ya got yer work cut out for yerself. I like the dollies ya made to move yer machine around on too. Good idea. Harbor Freight has them on sale right now. Might have ta pick up a couple for my own project. Hope just ta tear mine down for cleaning and lubin evrything. Over 20000 miles so figured it was time. Look forward to watchin yer progress. And, just my opinion, and no offense to any 950 owners out there, but I think changing the fenders will be a definite improvement. Just never cared for the look of the 950 fenders.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I'm pretty excited about it all. I work evenings, so as often as possible I am putting in hours during the day in the shop. I am married with 3 kids, so ya know... that's not EVERY day. My goal is late march. I'm taking a Police mc course in mid April, so I am hoping to get some refresher riding in before that. I do still have my 650, but the heavier 950 is newer to me. I'd like some hours on it before spending a week on a big police Harley.

I'm a dreamer, so I spend a lot of time planning this build in my head before I turn a wrench. Great mental exercise. And fun!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Worked today on wiring my garage door opener (gate opener for work) to my turn signal cancel switch. Did this on my 650 last year and it worked great. This time I took the wire bundle cover (left grip side) off, added my new wires and recovered it all with heat shrink. The biggest bummer was unpinning the wire connectors. And yes, my plastic welding is not pretty. But it works, and it's hidden!

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Martin Senior is all I use too.....great stuff. The fender conversion shouldn't be too bad, I've seen in done a couple of times over the years. You picked some great fenders to put on it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is pure ingenuity.

Wish I could claim it, but I can't. Motorcycle forums are great, aren't they? I used this all last summer and it was really nice to not have to fish in my pockets for my access card. And I doubt anyone would guess that it is there...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Martin Senior is all I use too.....great stuff. The fender conversion shouldn't be too bad, I've seen in done a couple of times over the years. You picked some great fenders to put on it.

Thanks! I like the way it's shaping up. I am really excited to see it all together and painted...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Couldn't find a good spot for the FuzeBlocks FZ-1, 2 relays, an additional flasher (for a hazard light set-up) and a garage door opener. Sooo... I'm going to use the (largly) wasted space in the tail cone of the right saddle bag. I've made a cardboard template for the compartment panel and the black Seaboard to make it out of arrived today. But... I had to go to work. Twice. Oh well. Soon enough.

Edited to add:
And here it is out of Seaboard...

1 - 20 of 45 Posts