Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some pictures of my 950 with leather bags that I got for a good price. I had to purchase a set of universal brackets and then modify everything to get it all flush. There's still some work I'd like to do to tidy it up, but that'll come.

·
Registered
178 Posts
you must be single :(
my wife would put her purse in one side, and her 3 sets of glasses in the other side, and her phone, and raincoat, and coat, and spare gloves....and....

those do look nice & level. floppy bags don't look good to me.

·
Administrator
15,486 Posts
devil, what's the dimensions of those bags? and are those brackets you got just to keep the bags off the fender and flopping against the bike?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you must be single :(
my wife would put her purse in one side, and her 3 sets of glasses in the other side, and her phone, and raincoat, and coat, and spare gloves....and....

those do look nice & level. floppy bags don't look good to me.
Actually, I have a girlfriend of two years. :) Although, she knows that it's my bike and not her storage. Thanks for the kind comments on the bags. They are definitely much better than floppy bags. Soon, I'll have hard bags on the bike. :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
devil, what's the dimensions of those bags? and are those brackets you got just to keep the bags off the fender and flopping against the bike?
I'll have to measure them this weekend. Yes, the brackets are there to keep the bags off the swing arm or worse, the rims. It also squares them up nicely. If you purchase those brackets for a 950, you'll have to get some spacers to keep them off your trim. I'm coming up with a new system for my bike. I'll post pictures once I'm done installing the new setup.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think I have the same bags (without the yoke)if those are Saddlemen Cruisin' bags.. We needed storage for when the wife and I head out on the bike together. I really don't care for the look of bags on a bike, but I can't discount how handy they are. So, I wanted quick release bags but did not want to spend the extra $150 or so for easy or ghost brackets, so I set out to make my own.

For the brackets you need about $20 worth of stuff. 8) 5/16" x 3/4 bolts 8)fender washers 8)nylon insert lock nuts, 1ft of 1-1/2" square tubing and enough plate (I used 12ga) to make 2 6" by approx 10" plates. You can use aluminum or steel, I went with steel because that's what was handy,

To keep attach them to the bike you need 8 washers and 4 locknuts ( I used grade 8 steel for it's strength.

So here we go. Easiest part first. Now mind you, I have the quick release backrest on so those with out may have to make some spacers and or get longer bolts.

Remove each fender rail bolt and place, in order, a washer, locknut and washer onto the end of the bolt and replace.

Next, cut your square tubing into 4 2" lengths. Punch 1 3/4" hole and 1 37/64" hole, you will be left with some material that will need to be smoothed out with a dremel or file. This is the end result.

Next, cut your plate into an approx 6" wide by 10-12" long rectangle, i added some angle cuts to fit the shape of my bags. The most important part is fitting them so they go on and off easily. The best way is to place the slotted pieces onto the bolts and place some double stick tape on them. Then push the plate onto them in your desired location, lift them off to check ease of use. if it doesn't go off and on easily re-position and try again.

I angled mine, as you can see, to guard against any lift. Once you are happy with the position you can either weld (as I did) or secure by punching a hole through and screwing them together. Now punch 4 holes to fit the 5/16" bolts.

Slide your completed brackets onto the bolts. Place your bags against them and mark the hole positions (really helps to have two people. Punch your hols in the bags, secure them to the brackets with bolts and fender washers and you have this:

As far as capacity, this past weekend we were able to stuff 2 mesh jackets (with armor) her purse, riding gloves, camera and caps in the two saddle bags. The sissy bar bag (also a Saddleman Cruisin'bag that I custom hard mounted) held some bottles of water and and mp3 players and my wallet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts