Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not an expert on bikes or engines but can do most average non complex fixes. I have a 2002 vstar classic 1100. I don't ride much over the winter but do start my bike up about twice a month and let it run for a little. Last weekend when I did that it started smoking really bad. I shut it off and tried to identify where the smoke was coming from. I originally thought the cylinder head cover was leaking and dripping down to the exhaust causing it to smoke. I bought a gasket for the head cover and put that in last night but no luck. Same outcome. I did take a closer look this time where it was smoking from. I attached the diagram below. Looks like it is coming from both areas. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Greatly appreciate it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looked more like white smoke. I took a short video of it and just looked again.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
6,010 Posts
Tappet (valve) cover leaking down on exhaust. Common and easy fix. Blue arrow.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
dont try to tighten the tappet cover down more - look up the torque spec, its only a few ft lbs - you will deform the cover

you need a new o ring under it: $4

if you have any doubt where the oil is coming from wash the whole area down with Era or Tide or Dawn detergent

rinse it off and let it dry, then start the engine for a minute and see where its weeping out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm pretty sure that's the gasket (o-ring) I mentioned above that I replaced. That was my first thought but maybe I'm not understanding correctly. Thanks for the suggestions.

Part number 25 is what I replaced.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey All!

I just think I'm having the same issue with my 650. I washed it down and discovered some nasty rubber bits hanging out of that head cover. I haven't confirmed with soap as suggested earlier but does anyone suspect anything different? I'm just gong to go ahead and change it...I have some time on my hands anyway.

Thanks!

·
Registered
416 Posts
It looks as it may have been over tightened probably should adjust the valve clearance while you’re in there too. And from the looks of the bolts you may want to check the cover to make sure it is still flat as if it isn’t it will never seal properly. I would order new bolts for it and make sure you torque it properly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do you mean that the entire cover may be bent now that it's been overtorqued? I was poking around at the other covers and their all in the same boat:cautious:

I saw a couple videos about the valve clearance, I'll probably try my hand at that too as you suggested.

Luckily I have a little extra time on my hands....

Thanks again!

It looks as it may have been over tightened probably should adjust the valve clearance while you’re in there too. And from the looks of the bolts you may want to check the cover to make sure it is still flat as if it isn’t it will never seal properly. I would order new bolts for it and make sure you torque it properly.

·
Registered
416 Posts
If some one has over tightened them it i possibly the case but you can take them off and lay them on a flat surface to check them. If they rock when you push on them they are more than likely twisted. And if you put them back on be careful you don’t want to strip the bolt holes out as that is a hard fix.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I agree it seems to be a gasket that's not right.
I think, and if you are cool with it. Take a video showing the engine smoking. It may us diagnose via the web.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I took the cover off again and made sure the o-ring was on correctly then made sure not to over tighten the cover when putting it back on. It is still smoking. Here's a short video of it. Doesn't look like it's coming from the cover. In my original post I added a picture and put 2 red arrows. It still looks like it's coming from those areas. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Oil does take awhile to burn off maybe get some break clean and wash it down then blow dry it and let it run for a little bit and see if you can see a drip of oil coming out of anywhere.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I can do that but there’s not much oil right behind the exhaust where the smoke seems to be coming from.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
6,010 Posts
I agree that it's oil residue still burning off as long as no new oil is leaking down on it. Clean really good, still seeing wet oil around the area, and let run.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You guys are awesome! And I'm still a newbie! I let it run for a while and it did stop smoking. Really appreciate all the help!

Doing the plugs, oil & filter, air filter tomorrow. Looking to have it back on the road again! Thanks again!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts