Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,891 Posts
I agree that it's oil residue still burning off as long as no new oil is leaking down on it. Clean really good, still seeing wet oil around the area, and let run.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
You guys are awesome! And I'm still a newbie! I let it run for a while and it did stop smoking. Really appreciate all the help!

Doing the plugs, oil & filter, air filter tomorrow. Looking to have it back on the road again! Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,891 Posts
Most of us have been there and done that, when it comes to many of the bike issues that are posted. We just reply to what has worked for us. Glad it worked out for you.

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
make sure your exhaust is not plugged

something could have gotten into your tailpipe and died....

take the bike for a ride, make sure it has not lost power (run it hard)

after several miles check it again - it could be a leak on the exhaust gasket itself

·
Registered
2000 V Star 1100 Classic
62 Posts
Oil does take awhile to burn off maybe get some break clean and wash it down then blow dry it and let it run for a little bit and see if you can see a drip of oil coming out of anywhere.
This is what I was going to suggest. It appears to be coming from the two flanges, which do have recesses in them where oil can hide. Try spraying a little brakleen in there and clean and dry them well. If it is oil, it will have that very distinct "burning oil" smell. It could be grease as well, but that looks like it may be your culprit.

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
as long as liquid oil is not spewing out on the exhaust its safe to ride

that little bit of smoke is not going to catch fire and burn

the only real concern about any oil leak, is if most of your oil leaked out and the oil pump started sucking air - there are no low oil pressure or level lights on most Vstar bikes

and even if there were, the speedometer is not in your line of sight when riding - an oil light could come on and you would not see it unless you looked down.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I took the cover off again and made sure the o-ring was on correctly then made sure not to over tighten the cover when putting it back on. It is still smoking. Here's a short video of it. Doesn't look like it's coming from the cover. In my original post I added a picture and put 2 red arrows. It still looks like it's coming from those areas. Any help is appreciated.

Does the same smoke come out of the end of your exhaust? What does the smoke smell like? Does it smoke right away or only after the bike heats up?

Any chance you have some bits of debris in that area, under that chrome exhaust piece?

21 - 30 of 30 Posts