Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

My bike is smoking

10K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  KCW 
#1 ·
I'm not an expert on bikes or engines but can do most average non complex fixes. I have a 2002 vstar classic 1100. I don't ride much over the winter but do start my bike up about twice a month and let it run for a little. Last weekend when I did that it started smoking really bad. I shut it off and tried to identify where the smoke was coming from. I originally thought the cylinder head cover was leaking and dripping down to the exhaust causing it to smoke. I bought a gasket for the head cover and put that in last night but no luck. Same outcome. I did take a closer look this time where it was smoking from. I attached the diagram below. Looks like it is coming from both areas. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Greatly appreciate it!

See less See more
#6 ·
Tappet (valve) cover leaking down on exhaust. Common and easy fix. Blue arrow.

Reactions: MrSinister
#7 ·
dont try to tighten the tappet cover down more - look up the torque spec, its only a few ft lbs - you will deform the cover

you need a new o ring under it: $4

if you have any doubt where the oil is coming from wash the whole area down with Era or Tide or Dawn detergent

rinse it off and let it dry, then start the engine for a minute and see where its weeping out.

#12 ·
It looks as it may have been over tightened probably should adjust the valve clearance while you’re in there too. And from the looks of the bolts you may want to check the cover to make sure it is still flat as if it isn’t it will never seal properly. I would order new bolts for it and make sure you torque it properly.

#14 ·
If some one has over tightened them it i possibly the case but you can take them off and lay them on a flat surface to check them. If they rock when you push on them they are more than likely twisted. And if you put them back on be careful you don’t want to strip the bolt holes out as that is a hard fix.

#16 ·
I took the cover off again and made sure the o-ring was on correctly then made sure not to over tighten the cover when putting it back on. It is still smoking. Here's a short video of it. Doesn't look like it's coming from the cover. In my original post I added a picture and put 2 red arrows. It still looks like it's coming from those areas. Any help is appreciated.

#28 ·
Does the same smoke come out of the end of your exhaust? What does the smoke smell like? Does it smoke right away or only after the bike heats up?

Any chance you have some bits of debris in that area, under that chrome exhaust piece?

#25 ·
This is what I was going to suggest. It appears to be coming from the two flanges, which do have recesses in them where oil can hide. Try spraying a little brakleen in there and clean and dry them well. If it is oil, it will have that very distinct "burning oil" smell. It could be grease as well, but that looks like it may be your culprit.

#19 ·
I agree that it's oil residue still burning off as long as no new oil is leaking down on it. Clean really good, still seeing wet oil around the area, and let run.

#21 ·
Most of us have been there and done that, when it comes to many of the bike issues that are posted. We just reply to what has worked for us. Glad it worked out for you.

#24 ·
make sure your exhaust is not plugged

something could have gotten into your tailpipe and died....

take the bike for a ride, make sure it has not lost power (run it hard)

after several miles check it again - it could be a leak on the exhaust gasket itself

#26 ·
as long as liquid oil is not spewing out on the exhaust its safe to ride

that little bit of smoke is not going to catch fire and burn

the only real concern about any oil leak, is if most of your oil leaked out and the oil pump started sucking air - there are no low oil pressure or level lights on most Vstar bikes

and even if there were, the speedometer is not in your line of sight when riding - an oil light could come on and you would not see it unless you looked down.

#31 ·
yeah someone didnt have a new oring and tried to glue the old one in.... yikes!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.