Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was leading a ride today. I hit my right turn signal used a hand signal to make a right. The person on my right never slowed down and if it were not for someone on the Sena with me it would have been really nasty. The girl on the other bike is in the hospital. My right ankle is hurt. The friend on the Sena went oh oh oh as I was starting my turn. Isnatched the bike upright just before the crash. I feel like ****.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Man that is rough.

When something unexpected happens people often say weird things or just make noises.

At work we turned on a 500HP hydraulic system for the first time, and the young engineer watching it thru a window said "whoa! whoa!... whoa!"

was it doing something impressive or awesome? no it was blowing oil out at 5000 psi. After that we make it clear before we turn something on: either say OK OK OK, or STOP STOP STOP.

·
Super Moderator
4,621 Posts
Real bummer. Glad you are OK, thanks the main thing. Sounds like you did everything right but person on your right didn't.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Great that you could walk away, Hope the girl in hospital will be okay. Really hope your ankle heals up quick.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great that you could walk away, Hope the girl in hospital will be okay. Really hope your ankle heals up quick.
She is doing good. I am good. Bike is not hurt bad.. so all in all we were all lucky. Her bike got pretty torn up. She probably has 2 - 3 k in damage.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Bikes & bike parts are replaceable. People are not.
Glad you & your friend are relatively unscathed.
Some day you'll be able to look back at this & have a laugh or chuckle about it.

Ride Smart! Ride Often!

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Who was the girl on the other bike? Was she riding or a passenger?

I know we are all scattered across the Earth, but if there is anything we can do to help let us know what the situation is.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Who was the girl on the other bike? Was she riding or a passenger?

I know we are all scattered across the Earth, but if there is anything we can do to help let us know what the situation is.
She was riding her own bike. I am good.. Her bike is at Harley and mine is at the Yammy dealer. Mine is nothing but 2 foot pegs and a scratch on the heat shield on the exhaust. What I saw on hers was.. Right floorboard, exhaust, windshield, engine guard, both right blinkers, handle bars, forks. That is what I saw, not sure what the dealer will find. My wife rode the bike half a mile to her work and said it rode straight.

When it first happened, after I got the bike off of the girl I called my wife.. She is in the medical field and the girl did not want the paramedics called (they were called anyway). My wife is my rock when I feel like I am losing my mind.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
there have been several threads on group rides and riding with strangers

there are many videos on youtube of group ride accidents

based on what I have seen in the last 6 years riding, group rides have to be one of the bigger risks for older riders.

Older riders tend to be more easy going, not riding 120mph thru the neighborhood, so its the secondary things that are a greater risk for us.

Im not talking about a bunch of friends getting together and riding for the afternoon, referring to events where many people show up, tend to ride like its a 60mph parade, and riders dont know each other.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Rode to work this morning and stupid woman tried to overtake me on the shoulder. I didn't let her and then she started tailgating me for a while until I showed my angry face to her. I was going 5 mph above the speed limit yet she wanted to get in front of me on the 2-lane road with heavy morning traffic. Some people seem to be brainless.

·
Super Moderator
13,110 Posts
Rode to work this morning and stupid woman tried to overtake me on the shoulder. I didn't let her and then she started tailgating me for a while until I showed my angry face to her. I was going 5 mph above the speed limit yet she wanted to get in front of me on the 2-lane road with heavy morning traffic. Some people seem to be brainless.
i'm glad that didn't escalate for you. the wrong person would have taken your show of defiance as a reason to bully past you or through you. yes, a lot of drivers don't know how to hold their feelings in check on the road, including operators of cars and trucks as well as motorcycles. i encourage every biker, including myself, to try to rise above our feelings of pride or anger when we are surrounded by metal blocks traveling at speed that can easily do us harm that are being operated by blockheads. i'd rather get out of the way of an idiot and then use my horn to let them know they did something foolish than use myself and my tiny bike to get in their way, or try to agitate them afterwards.

·
Registered
961 Posts
i'm glad that didn't escalate for you. the wrong person would have taken your show of defiance as a reason to bully past you or through you. yes, a lot of drivers don't know how to hold their feelings in check on the road, including operators of cars and trucks as well as motorcycles. i encourage every biker, including myself, to try to rise above our feelings of pride or anger when we are surrounded by metal blocks traveling at speed that can easily do us harm that are being operated by blockheads. i'd rather get out of the way of an idiot and then use my horn to let them know they did something foolish than use myself and my tiny bike to get in their way, or try to agitate them afterwards.

Thanks, Bevo. I normally try to stay “cold” as you can’t win a road rage on the bike. This time I had no way to escape as she would push me out on the oncoming lane and it was in a heavy traffic. At least she recognized it and backed up some. People don’t care about each other anymore, just themselves. That applies to a lot of aspects of social interaction these days IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,088 Posts
Glad you’re ok NGM, and the girl was not seriously injured. As others have said, if you need anything we’re here for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts