Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I just picked up my very first motorcycle last week. I am a big car enthusiast, but after riding her my life has changed. Now I see what all my buddies that ride mean!!!!

Anyway, the main reason I'm on here is to learn about the bike in general. Maintenance, styling, tips and tricks, you name it!!!

My very FIRST question about this bike relates to making my Wife's ride as comfortable as possible all while styling her the way I want to!
All the sissy bars I have seen online are not really my style. I did run into a thread where a user stated " you can use the sissy bars off a soft tail Harley if you wanted to!"

IS THIS TRUE!?!?! lol here is the link if anyone cares to respond.

Burly Sissy Bar - Black, Tall 20 - 04-Up XL (B13-1501B) by Burly Brand - Direct Cycle Parts - Parts

Thanks for having me and hope everyone has an amazing day!

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,003 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,228 Posts
Welcome to the forum from East Tennessee! I like your enthusiasm.
Come in closer and allow me to let you in on something. We LOVE pics here and we’d love for you to share a few with us.
You definitely came to the right place for information and help with your new ride. Ride safely and stay warm if you’re heading into colder weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,003 Posts

·
2,345 Posts
Welcome from Atlantic Canada. I agree wholeheartedly about how riding can change your life. I got back into it a couple of years ago after a 20 year hiatus (also on an 1100) and now I ride every chance I get. You'll find plenty of useful info on here about your new ride and if you can't find what you're looking for, just ask. You won't get the "that's already been answered - do a search" response here. The links Les posted have a lot of very helpful info in them. Pay particular attention to the one about 1100 starting techniques - very important.

And like Keith mentioned, we love pics here so post one when you get a chance!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow. Thanks for all the love everyone!!! I will be definitely reading all those links when I get the chance!!!

Funny story!!! I just took her out for a spin around the community block (my MSF course is next week to get my endorsement so I don’t drive far from home). I’ve grown comfortable riding her around like this practicing the friction point and taking off, countersteering and such. I come up to a stop and need to turn right, and I ALMOST drop her. I figured out that my mistake was continually looking at the left for other vehicles while letting go of th clutch To take off. Definitely learned my lesson!!!! Had to get that out of the way right? This Hercules strength came out of no where to save th bike from really touching the floor. Definitely a shot to my ego. I know my neighbors saw lol. I’ll continue to tell myself I’m still learning and I’m not perfect.

Anywho...

Much love to all of you from Las Vegas!!!

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
Everyone that gets a bike makes the same mistakes before they take a class from an experienced instructor.

In most countries you have to take something like a MSF course just to get your learners permit, because it only takes one curve where you try to steer like a car, and go right over the centerline headon into traffic.

"my mistake was continually looking at the left for other vehicles while letting go of th clutch To take off.".. you have discovered the first rule: ALWAYS look where you want the motorcycle to go.

and if there was a list, countersteering would be #2.

BTW, one of my cousins was a MSF instructor in Vegas for most of his life: DD Jarosz.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well that makes total sense. I already knew I would do nothing but benefit from the class. My mistake was definitely a learning experience. Engine guards are on the way so that when I do receive my license, I can go and practice those slow speeds in a parking lot every morning.

I just checked my class instructor to see if by any chance it would have your cousin lol. My instructor for next week is Mr. Fox.

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
enjoy your class.

Could not be my cousin, we lost Danny 12 years ago. Over 300 riders showed up at his funeral, and many of them said if not for the things he taught them, they would not be here.

You are right about riding changing your life. A motorcycle is one of those things, you have to ride one to get it.

And once you ride one motorcycle, you want to ride all of them :^)

https://motorcycles.livejournal.com/2212298.html

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey appreciate it!

Im so sorry for your loss. Danny sounds like hes an amazing individual. Changed many peoples lives as well.

As far as my life in this motorcycle world? I am diving in. REGARDLESS of all the horror stories my friends tell me to try and convince me NOT to ride. So much for support right? I'm going to do what I've always wanted to do. RIDE

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
you dont have to be crazy to ride a motorcycle

we will train you......

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Netherlands, haharel!

And please do post a few pics of your ride, we'd love to admire it :).

Kind regards, Wim

1 - 16 of 16 Posts