Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yay! Just logged my first 14 miles on the bike, just cruising around my neighborhood. What a blast! I stalled a lot, and forgot to cancel my turn signals, but otherwise all went very well. I like my bike (1999 vstar 650 classic)! It's easy to ride and it's running smoothly now that it's had a tuneup. It backfired only when I downshifted while revving the throttle - which I have figured out is a no no. If my hand is off the throttle while down shifting it purrs like a kitten. Still loud though yeeeee!!

I made it up through fourth gear, top speed about 35 mph.

Question -- do air-cooled engines mind if we ride around on them for hours and hours at very low (under 20 mph) speeds? Or will they get too hot?

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
Question -- do air-cooled engines mind if we ride around on them for hours and hours at very low (under 20 mph) speeds? Or will they get too hot?

Congratulations on the ride!:)

As long as you're not constantly slipping the clutch or lugging the engine, the bike won't mind slow speeds. Chances are you'll overheat before the powerplant does:)

If you're feathering the clutch a lot, you need to let the bike run a bit with the clutch fully engaged to allow the clutch plates and oil a chance to cool down a bit.

I operated a motorcycle 2 years on Bermuda where the island maximum speed limit is 20mph without any problems (except for the 30mph speeding ticket I got coming down Blue Hole Hill:mad:)

Enjoy your journey;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Excellent! I bought my very first bike (an '05 650) this spring and started riding it when the snow was still flying. I have 2000 miles on so far and I can't get enough.

Take a rider's course. Find the kind of helmet you like and wear it. Give a wave to anyone else on two wheels - we all appreciate it.

See you out there!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Congratulations on the ride!:)

As long as you're not constantly slipping the clutch or lugging the engine, the bike won't mind slow speeds. Chances are you'll overheat before the powerplant does:)

If you're feathering the clutch a lot, you need to let the bike run a bit with the clutch fully engaged to allow the clutch plates and oil a chance to cool down a bit.

I operated a motorcycle 2 years on Bermuda where the island maximum speed limit is 20mph without any problems (except for the 30mph speeding ticket I got coming down Blue Hole Hill:mad:)

Enjoy your journey;)
thanks for the reassurance springer. i've ridden twice more, and she seems to be fine at the slower speeds, as long as i include one refreshing faster road every 25 minutes or so. i've made it through my first stop lights, and onto some bigger back roads. still having so much fun! the next trip will be to the gas station for more fuel and some air in my front tire, which seems to have lost a couple pounds of pressure over the course of the week. slow leak?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Congratulations on your first ride . It sounds like it went a little smoother than my first ride. Picture if you will a first time rider just cruising down the street about 5 blocks from home and he comes to his first red light. Now picture a bee landing on his throttle hand and instinctively swats it away. You might ask yourself "how did he swat it away if 1 hand is on the throttle and 1 is on the clutch? Well I'll tell you how he did it, he let go of the clutch and the bike lurched forward into the intersection and flopped over on its side. Thankfully nobody ran me over and thankfully youtube did not exist.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Way to go sk8r, I'm happy for you.

Curious: did you go for the traditional post first ride meal of raw steak and warm Primo beer......?

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
some air in my front tire, which seems to have lost a couple pounds of pressure over the course of the week. slow leak?
You'll find that motorcycle tires require considerably more attention than other automotive applications. It's normal to gradually lose pressure (particularly on the rear tire) over time. That's why it's imperative you monitor your pressure every few days. The loss of a couple of pounds on a car is negligible, but when you're running 32-40lb tire pressures, a couple of pounds is a significant percentage. Keeping your pressures up will result in greater wear longevity, saving you $$$.:)

Once you settle on the tire pressure that's correct for your ride (consult owners' manual, your bike service center, etc) checking cold tire pressures every few days if you're riding every day is recommended. Some folks check their tire pressures before every ride; certainly you should visually check your tires as part of your preflight/pretrip routine. When I tour, I check my tire pressures every morning; otherwise--with intermittent use--I'll check once or twice a week.;)

And I predict in a very short time, 20 and 25mph rides will be just a fond memory:)

PS-

You would do well to invest in a small compressor/kit with hose and fittings so that you can service your tires at home. By the time you ride to a service facility(depending on distance), your tires are no longer cold and you will have to compensate for the amount of air you add. You can usually find a gallon/half gallon compressor with all necessary hose/fittings for tire inflation at your local big box home store (Home Depot/Lowe's/Menards etc) for $25 - $50. Handy to have around the house..

Regards

·
Registered
199 Posts
Delete all thoughts of the turn signals for they will cut off after a short dist. :D

I am a new rider and I feel like my OCD kicks up big time with turning off the turn signal. I am constantly reminding myself to turn it off. So I find myself pushing the cancel even if I am down the road and have already cancelled it out.

Is it really true that it turns off on its own?:confused:

·
Registered
621 Posts
I am a new rider and I feel like my OCD kicks up big time with turning off the turn signal. I am constantly reminding myself to turn it off. So I find myself pushing the cancel even if I am down the road and have already cancelled it out.

Is it really true that it turns off on its own?:confused:
Yes it is true, but I do the same thing. I always catch myself canceling the signals, even after I've done it twice. Oh, well. :eek:

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
You have been bitten by the bug ain't it great.Keep the shiny side up and be safe.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Congrats on the your maiden 14 miles! It's a great bug to be bitten by. There is no greater freedom than that you feel when riding your bike.

Damn, that was pretty profound! I should write greeting cards or something.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Congratulations on your first ride . It sounds like it went a little smoother than my first ride. Picture if you will a first time rider just cruising down the street about 5 blocks from home and he comes to his first red light. Now picture a bee landing on his throttle hand and instinctively swats it away. You might ask yourself "how did he swat it away if 1 hand is on the throttle and 1 is on the clutch? Well I'll tell you how he did it, he let go of the clutch and the bike lurched forward into the intersection and flopped over on its side. Thankfully nobody ran me over and thankfully youtube did not exist.
LOL! Thanks for the belly laugh. Those kinds of stories make me feel just a little better when I'm out there learning my own lessons.

Thanks Springer, I'll look at a compressor next time I'm at Home Depot.

And no Paddy, I didn't have a post-ride steak. I didn't even know that was required. :cool:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts