Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought a bike last saturday.
Had it a week and a half.
Took it up to this little biker hang out and got a ticket . . . . for LOUD PIPES! of all things! Niose ordinance!

Ya this cop was all irate at me for doing nothing more than starting the motor and not even quarter cracking the throttle on take off.
I was NOT gunning or revving the motor at all.
He was chasing me out in the street on foot! Stood in front of me and waved me down/
All mad and telling me about all his problems with the bikers making too much noise. Asked me three times if I had been drinking.
I was so polite and told him it was my first trip out and only had the bike a week etc. he was all mad at me.
Told me that BUB pipes were some of the loudest.

$100.00 fine!

Any of you guys ever had something like that happen?

·
Registered
19 Posts
note to self: half throttle :confused: thats kinda gettng on it a little hard with those pipes with cops around...

next time, start off in 2nd gear, and gradually roll on the throttle...

save u some tickets...

upping the gear will deepen the tone aka "making it" sound less loud.. and it will cause u to go slower... just a tip and trick i learned riding around these big bike events..

but once ur away,, almost like the middle finger,,, just rip the throttle and ride....

in city limits, i usualy drive 5 mph under speed limit and up a gear just so my pipes are quiet...

becareful and have fun!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nope I actually toned down the part about how mad the cop was so as not to tarnish the reputation of some police officers.

I honestly was just sitting there dumbfounded like "You're gonna give me a ticket for THAT????"

True story no imbelishment whatsoever.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'M not surprised at all that you got a ticket, Bummer!
Up here in NH In order for a cop to give you a ticket for loud pipes it must be confirmed with a Decibel meter and done properly, usually when you get inspected they do this decibel test, if it does not pass you don't get inspected.

Take your bike to an inspection station and see if it will pass inspection with the pipes you now have on the bike.
Different states have different laws on the books that determine how loud a muffler system can be so check you local state laws, you may just be able to beat that ticket!

Dennis

1 - 6 of 6 Posts