Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This week I purchased my first bike. Its a 2001 V-Star 650 Classic with 9,700 miles on it. I bought it for a low price because it has some "minor" issues. It has some cosmetic issues. It all seems like the bike was just tipped over while it was standing. All these cosmetic flaws shouldn't be to hard or expensive to replace and repair. It does have two mechanical issues that I noticed in the 20ish miles that I have driven on it so far. It has an oil leak. It should be to hard to fix. It also backfires/ loud pop sometimes when cold starting on the first attempt. After it makes the loud pop, I try starting again and it starts fine. This is the only issue I am a bit worried about. Iv looked it up and have read a few different theories about what the issue could be but I am not exactly sure how to check and figure out exactly what the issue is. Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
Looks nice. An 01 with that miles and an oil leak I'd bet it's sat a bit. For the starting I'd go plugs, check air filter then you got 2 choices carb wise..decent dose of sea foam or tear them apart and clean them right. I'd go with the tear em apart personally because then you know they're good. Also gives you a chance to really inspect the carb intake boots for cracking and while the carbs are out you can check/adjust the valves. I'd pinpoint and repair the oil leak first. Nice bike.

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
How do you start it when its cold? Choke all the way out. Give it just a crack on the throttle when it starts, then immediately push the choke in one click, check your lights and signals, and push it in another click. Then wait till you drive 1/4 mile before you push it in all the way. Once the bike is warm you should not need the choke again, unless its cold (in the 40's).

Backfire could also be your battery is getting soft. The bike will start with a 3-4 year old battery, but it kinda sputters and balks.

I dont tear into my bike if I dont need to. I'd put 4 oz of seafoam in a full tank, and run that through, then see how it runs on the next tank with gas only.

Oh... one more thing for starting, the bike does have a fuel pump. When you turn the key on count to three and let the pump jack the pressure up before you hit the starter button.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts