Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I was super stoked to try out the Custom Dynamics LED Taillight with 100 LEDs - Part number GEN-100-1157YAM. I saw this on Youtube and saw it lit up quite a bit more than the stock light on my 650 classic using less wattage of course. So I grabbed one and here are my before and after pics... unfortunately my good camera is dead so I had to use my cell, but you still get a very good idea of how this mod performs. A snap to install too, just plug it in to the stock socket, screw it in with the red cover and it's done. 5 minutes tops. You don't see a big difference as a running light, but man, when you hit the brakes WOW! Went from lighting up a spot on my garage door to lighting up the entire front of the garage area. Overall, SUPER pleased! Here's my before and after montage:

Thanks for looking!

Dan

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Dan How much is this assembly ?

Is there more than one version?

thanks jake ;)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
570 Posts
Did the same, but also added brake light modulator. This was plug and play with stock bulb. Much brighter than stock.

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Do you know if one of the bulbs burns out if the rest stay lit ?

My 47 Harley tail light is rather dim. It uses the clear lens on top as a tag light, so the running light and brake light both illuminate the tag holder. This robs some of the lights brightness.

So I'm thinking about getting an LED lag light holder and black out the clear lens in the upper portion of the tail light so it gets all the lumens the bulb has to offer. Then the brake and running lights will be dedicated to the 357 style bulb. And not trying to illuminate the tag .

I had one of these LED tag mounts on my sons Rebel 450 and it worked great. It lights up the tag brightly all the time.

jake :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you know if one of the bulbs burns out if the rest stay lit ?

My 47 Harley tail light is rather dim. It uses the clear lens on top as a tag light, so the running light and brake light both illuminate the tag holder. This robs some of the lights brightness.

So I'm thinking about getting an LED lag light holder and black out the clear lens in the upper portion of the tail light so it gets all the lumens the bulb has to offer. Then the brake and running lights will be dedicated to the 357 style bulb. And not trying to illuminate the tag .

I had one of these LED tag mounts on my sons Rebel 450 and it worked great. It lights up the tag brightly all the time.

jake :)
When an LED burns out or dies, it won't affect the continuity of the electrical circuit, it will just be a dead LED and 99 will keep working :)

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
I see thanks for the update .

·
Registered
332 Posts
Bought one of these for both my bikes. Super pleased with them. I noticed a feature that hadn't occurred to me when I originally bought the lights.

In addition to just being brighter, the light achieves "brake light" brightness in about half as much time after applying the brakes, as compared to an incandescent bulb.

It might only be 250ms quicker, but if the reaction time of a person behind you is 500ms and that timer doesn't start until they actually see your brake lights, it could have a big impact. I'm sold on leds from now on.

·
Registered
570 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have converted all the lights on my 1100 Classic to custom dynamics LEDs and and a phase 7 led headlight I love them. I do have to figure out the high speed turn signals, but for now I can live with it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have converted all the lights on my 1100 Classic to custom dynamics LEDs and and a phase 7 led headlight I love them. I do have to figure out the high speed turn signals, but for now I can live with it.
Seems to me like a faster flashing signal will just make you more visible.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Seems to me like a faster flashing signal will just make you more visible.
Which is why I haven't been in a hurry to fix the problem

Whoa, weird. Did you contact CD to see what they have to say?
I did and they didn't really have any idea why it wasn't working. After 3 phone calls I gave up. I think I may just get an electronic flasher. besides, putting in a load equalizer defeated the electrical purpose of swapping incandescent bulbs and LEDs.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is actually why I'm not going to bother fiddling with the signal lights.. I'm only going to change the solid state lighting.

·
Registered
31 Posts
This is actually why I'm not going to bother fiddling with the signal lights.. I'm only going to change the solid state lighting.
don't get me wrong, changing the signals to the LEDs were a huge upgrade. I have dynamic clusters in the rear and dynamic rings in the front. There is no way my lights will not be seen! If I can, I will try to get a video of the setup today in between snow squalls.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts