Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay here it is at 3 weeks old and 1500KM

Passing lamps, Touring bars, A little chrome on the front reflectors.

Highway bars and a touring windshield coming soon.

Denis:)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Very nice Mr.Rule very nice.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Wow, baby pictures. My Roadliner is going on 4 years now and to imagine going back to the beginning days and all the riding in between makes me grin. That's a nice ride you have there and I know you'll get many years of enjoyment.:D

·
Registered
54 Posts
HDeater, I'm intrigued by the mods you have on your bike. Do you mind some questions about them?

Reckless batwing - why a fairing over the removable windshield? Does it protect against insects and gravel flying as well? I have standard windshield on '09 Strat but buffeting at highway speeds makes my eyes shake so much I can't see as well. I'm 6'4" and wear a 3/4 helmet with face shield. Rode 200 miles yesterday and it wasn't comfortable.

Sony am/fm cd mp3 4 speakers w/500 watt amp - if you wear a helmet, like I do, how can you even hear a stereo? Is it so loud it bothers other people if driving around town?

Roadhouse slip on exhaust - what is benefit of a slip-on exhaust? Do you have to take to a mechanic to put it on and then do they have to tune the engine specially? Does it sound "better" than the original exhaust? I have neighbors that I'm trying to be considerate of, but I do like a growling exhaust. Can I have it both ways?

K&N air filter with lid mod - what's "wrong" with the original equipment air filter? I don't understand this mod. Is it for more horsepower only?

Wahoo fabs engine guard - why this brand over a Yamaha guard, or any other brand?

LED running lights front and rear - what are these? Is there a website where I can see what they look like, or do you have a photo of yours?

Thanks for any answers you can give me. If this is a topic, or series of questions that I should have asked in a different place in the forum or with a personal email, let me know.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Oh where do I start? Why I went with the batwing was for the tunes.Yes you can here it just fine while cruising a around not so much at hwy speeds if it's windy. You don't blast it in town unless you want to annoy someone. For wind protection it's better than a windshield but you still get buffeting. There are products out that help the buffeting like Bucks lowers, very good product.I went with a slip so I didn't have to mess with a programer, just pull the stock one off slide yhe new one on,disconnect the battery to let it reset the learning curve, idle it for 10 minutes and go ride the crap out of it.The sound is great not too loud for the neighbors and fine going down the hwy. The K&N filter/air box mod just lets the engine breathe a little better, changes the power curve just a little and no programer needed. The Wahoo fabs engine guard is custom built by my sons 4x4 fab shop so the price was right and there's not another one like it. The LED light I put on were for safety and I found them on ebay by searching bullet lights. Hope I answered everything if you have more fire away it's not a problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh where do I start? Why I went with the batwing was for the tunes.Yes you can here it just fine while cruising a around not so much at hwy speeds if it's windy. You don't blast it in town unless you want to annoy someone. For wind protection it's better than a windshield but you still get buffeting. There are products out that help the buffeting like Bucks lowers, very good product.I went with a slip so I didn't have to mess with a programer, just pull the stock one off slide yhe new one on,disconnect the battery to let it reset the learning curve, idle it for 10 minutes and go ride the crap out of it.The sound is great not too loud for the neighbors and fine going down the hwy. The K&N filter/air box mod just lets the engine breathe a little better, changes the power curve just a little and no programer needed. The Wahoo fabs engine guard is custom built by my sons 4x4 fab shop so the price was right and there's not another one like it. The LED light I put on were for safety and I found them on ebay by searching bullet lights. Hope I answered everything if you have more fire away it's not a problem.
The LED lights look good

Denis

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks for the info. I like the idea of the LEDs b/c I've never really cared for the "largeness" of passing lamps on the front of the bike. That's also kept me from looking at engine guards/highway bars. Are the LEDs bright enough at night or are they just to make you more visible to others?

I don't see any "lowers" in your photos. Can you put them on with a fairing (or do you even need them if you have a fairing)? Does the fairing take away the speedo glare on the windshield at night? I haven't been riding all that long but it seems like all the buffeting is coming over the top of the windhield, not from below. Would "lowers" help with that? I'm 6' 4". Is fairing windscreen tall enough, or do they have tall versions? I have the Cobalt Blue Stratoliner. Does the fairing come in that color, or am I "stuck" with black? Since the bags are black, I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world. Also, I'd probably be more interested in a place for my GPS (preferably one that I could pop out and carry with me) than for a stereo that someone could just steal. I wonder if the fairing could be modified for that purpose.

I doubt I'd do anything to the bike to increase horsepower. I can't imagine a situation where I'd need more. I had it up to 80 for a short sprint (less than a quarter mile) the other day and it only turned 3,200 rpm or so. It frightens me to think how fast I'd be going by the time I got within shouting distance of the redline. At 60 y/o, my "need for speed" days are pretty much behind me. That said, I still kinda want to do something with the exhaust. If I do, I'll have to choose one based on ease of installation. When you unhook the battery, what happens to the odometer? I assume it must have a backup way to keep track of the mileage. The more I think about it, maybe I'll just let the dealer screw around with that. It sounds tricky to me.

I think I'll probably take care of the seating situation before I do anything else. My BSP doesn't like to take long rides (over an hour is long to her) because the pilion gets uncomfortable quickly. Women need a wider seat than men (anatomically) so I'd like to get a better seat first. You say you have a Mustang solo seat. Is that a single piece that includes both a rider and passenger seat, or is it a rider-only seat? I've seen pros and cons regarding Corbin, Ultimate and Mustang seats, but they ALL appear to be better than the stock ones. Why did you choose Mustang?

Thanks again for your patience and assistance. I don't know any other riders locally and the dealer doesn't seem to be that interested in working on cruisers, so I really need the help of the people on this forum.

·
Registered
14 Posts
HDeater, I'm intrigued by the mods you have on your bike. Do you mind some questions about them?

Reckless batwing - why a fairing over the removable windshield? Does it protect against insects and gravel flying as well? I have standard windshield on '09 Strat but buffeting at highway speeds makes my eyes shake so much I can't see as well. I'm 6'4" and wear a 3/4 helmet with face shield. Rode 200 miles yesterday and it wasn't comfortable.

Sony am/fm cd mp3 4 speakers w/500 watt amp - if you wear a helmet, like I do, how can you even hear a stereo? Is it so loud it bothers other people if driving around town?

Roadhouse slip on exhaust - what is benefit of a slip-on exhaust? Do you have to take to a mechanic to put it on and then do they have to tune the engine specially? Does it sound "better" than the original exhaust? I have neighbors that I'm trying to be considerate of, but I do like a growling exhaust. Can I have it both ways?

K&N air filter with lid mod - what's "wrong" with the original equipment air filter? I don't understand this mod. Is it for more horsepower only?

Wahoo fabs engine guard - why this brand over a Yamaha guard, or any other brand?

LED running lights front and rear - what are these? Is there a website where I can see what they look like, or do you have a photo of yours?

Thanks for any answers you can give me. If this is a topic, or series of questions that I should have asked in a different place in the forum or with a personal email, let me know.
I put a Memphis Saheds batwing on my 650 and 1300 V Stars. I like the look better than windshields and it protectes the hands a little better when it colder. There was a winsdhield on the Strat when I bought it. Maybe it will get changed next year.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
The LEDS are for being more visible and I really don't ride much at night.The stock head lamp does fine for me at night.
I don't feel I need the lowers yet the buffeting doesn't bug me bad enough but I'm not a hwy computer. Yes they do make taller windshields I have a 12 inch i use for long trips.The one that's on it now is one I cut down to 7 inches.You can add lowers with a fairing and yes you still get the speedo glare at night.For the color you have it painted to match your bike or if you want to save money put it on black.For accessories the skies the limit you add nothing or you can do stereo with blue tooth,mp3,ipod,gps ect.
The exhaust would be goo to stick with something that is a slip on. They go easy and it's nothing to unhook the ecm or battery we can talk you through that.The speedo will keep the milage don't have to worry about that. I'll be 47 y/o in 10 days so I still feel the need for speed once in a while
Mustang seat is solo because I didn't buy the back seat,my wife rides her own bike.Why I went with a mustang because I had one on my honda and liked it so I stuck with what I knew and liked.
Don't be affraid to ask questions that's what this forum is all about one big happy family of motorcyclists/bikers what ever you want to call your self.
So you say your 60y/o your still wet behind the ears. My rinding buddy is pushing 70y/o rides a Vstrom 650 and loves to go fast.You are only as old as you feel so lets ride.

Kurt the hdeater

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Thanks Dennis.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts