Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

my strat goes through tires

8K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  mi2az 
#1 ·
I just had the 4th set of tires put on today I am trying the Bridgestone 850,s I got on-line for $216.00 inc shipping. I have 34,000 on my 07. I am lucky that I live in So Cal & their is a guy that all he does is mount tires you bring and does brakes. He charged me $84.00 to mount & balance plus change the rear pads I brought him. My fingers are crossed these do a little better.

#3 ·
I guess I should of said including the ones it came with.It came with Dunlap D251's I changed both @ approx 9000 mi put another set of D251's I changed both @ 16,268 then I put the Avon cobra's which cost $374.00 they lasted untill 25,084 then I bought another set of D251,s on eBay they lasted until 31,793 I feel that is quite excessive altogether I have spent on tires $1450.00 I bought the bike 3 years ago July 27 2007

#8 ·
Are your tires gold plated

wow, not sure where you buy your tires but i have been getting them for 145.00 plus shipping on the internet so 165.oo total. dennis kirk has them right now for 144.00 and front for 100.00 - bridgestones. my local yamaha dealer will change them for 37.00 per tire/wheel, includes balance.

#4 · (Edited)
BikeBandit.com: Bridgestone G850 Exedra $149.00 plus $7.95 shipping.

Bridgestone G851 Exedra $100..26 plus $7.95 shipping

My local motorcycle shop charges me about $50.00 to mount the rear. It would take you about 20 minutes to change the rear pads; no special tools or expertise needed.

BTW, I am on my 4th set with same 34,000 miles on my 06; I changed my rear pads at about 26,000 miles.

#5 ·
Right hand

I hear lots of people talking of the same tire mileage. My first rear tire lasted 8,000 miles. My second lasted nearly 12,000 miles. The only difference was my right hand and the type of riding I did.

Liners are fairly heavy with lots of power, the tires are soft so they stick in a turn. My bet would be no change in tire life with the new tires. "You have to pay if you want to play." If you can resist the temtation to accelerate and brake hard you can get an extra couple thousand miles.

Dave

#7 ·
I hear lots of people talking of the same tire mileage. My first rear tire lasted 8,000 miles. My second lasted nearly 12,000 miles. The only difference was my right hand and the type of riding I did.

Liners are fairly heavy with lots of power, the tires are soft so they stick in a turn. My bet would be no change in tire life with the new tires. "You have to pay if you want to play." If you can resist the temtation to accelerate and brake hard you can get an extra couple thousand miles.

Dave
Yep, there it is.

#9 ·
Are these prices for the tire changing including the shop removing the wheels off the bike or are you taking them in already off? Last summer I needed to replace a leaking wheel on my venture so I took it off the bike and took it to a local dealer. I also gave them a pair of wheel bearings to replace while at it. Total was well over $100 for the one wheel. seemed a little high to me. I shouldn't need to replace the tires on my Roadliner for another year, so I have time to check around for a better price on labor.

#11 ·
services provided

Are these prices for the tire changing including the shop removing the wheels off the bike or are you taking them in already off?
my price was for taking the tire wheel off the bike and that was all. they removed and installed and balanced the tires for 37.00 each. i got lucky and went early this spring and they had a mount special for 50% off so i got both done for 37.00. that was a sweet deal.

#10 ·
Tire prices

I have had my Liner since they were introduced. At first I had trouble even finding tires. Then there was period, I paid list price for tires. Comming through Yamaha spare parts.

As more bikes get out there tires came down some. List is still the same but prices have come down. Shadetreepowersports gets $150 if I take the wheel off and take it in they will mount it for $25. I happen to be close enough to a warehouse/ store to drive there.

My dealer got $170 for the tire and an hour labor to take off wheel, mount tire, and adjust belt. Total was around $250 for a rear tire. Front is less. I usually do the Shadetree thing for front, since it is much easer. About $130 for front.

Dave

#15 ·
for some reason i have the exact same problem

#21 ·
I have always had good luck with ME880's. They give great life (averaging 14k per set). Though I see they don't make a 190/60-17 rear. For my own info do Stratoliners/Roadliners have room for a 200/55?

And I buy my tires from either Ron Ayers or Motorcycle Superstore which ever has the better price. When I bought my last rear the Superstore was offering free shipping over I think $100.

#22 ·
My Old V-Star 1100 was change two rears for every front. With the Strat, supposedly being more balanced front to rear, I have had to change both tires at the same time at around 8000 miles for the first set. Still working on the 2nd set but I have a heavy throttle hand and brake hard so shame on me. The OEM Dunlops felt like they were hard as bricks and I had trouble turning the bike. The Bridgestone's made the bike feel like a sportbike there was that much difference. My dealer charges 1 3/4 hours labor to change both. I have to find a different place as that is near 165 dollars for both tires mounted and balanced. BTW has anyone had a problem with a loose taillight assembly?

#23 ·
That sounds about right. I just put on a set of bridgestones with 8000 on the front and 4000 on the rear. I have a tendency to leave my autograph across an intersection from time to time. I agree with the dunlops too, I havnt used them on my liner but I have used them on other bikes and was a little leary of leaning it in too deep for fear it would step out on me. The Bridgestones are very predictable. I take the tires off the bike myself and get the set mounted and balanced for 45 bucks.

#24 · (Edited)
Tire Wear

The life of your tires depends on several factors. How soft the tire is, the load rating, where you live (ie. weather) if it's hot tires will wear faster, road conditions and yes your riding style if you like the throttle expect less life,
The following companies have tires that will work on the Stratoliner.
The Dunlop and Bridgestone you are aware of and for an awesum handling experience you can use a Metzler 880 the size you need for the rear is a 210/50/17 keep air at a constant 41psi it is an over size and mileage will be poor 3500 to 6000 if you are lucky as this is a very soft tire.
You can also use an AVON Cobra 200/55/17 rear better load rating and a nicely rounded, sticky tire. Handles very nice and has better life than the Metzler.

#25 ·
I know I currently ride a Vstar 1100, but I will give you my input on tires. My first tire change I went with Dunlap, that's what Yamaha used for their OEM. They did not last long at all. I then went with the Metzlers ME880, so far a long lasting great tire. I still have plenty of tread

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.