Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi YammieFriends.

Bought the Silver Surfer 3 years ago as I loved the look of it with its solo seat and boulevard windshield. I reckoned that would be the way I'd go cruising around. But the more saddle time I had on it, the more I wanted to have some more user-friendliness built in to it.

Have been delighted to discover the versatility of the 950's platform. It worked well as a stripped-down cruiser and even better as a light touring machine. Obviously I'll never set any land speed records, but there's enough power to propel me (240 lbs) and a passenger at highway speed up an incline.

The only things I haven't done on it are the air/exhaust/fuel changes which could get me a little more oompf out of it. I feel like at this point I've put enough money into it and if I want more power that I should just find it in my next bike... but you never know.

I've enjoyed lurking these forums and recently have seen a few topics that I would have chimed-in on... so I finally registered. See you around :smile:

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
upload your photo of the 950 into your garage photo.

I will have to take a look at the upside down lowers trick. I have not been able to get the buffeting down where I want on my 650 with Memphis Shades "Fats" WS and their for deflectors on my bike. I adjusted everything possible last summer, but its always a tradeoff from one thing to the other - the worse is in some configurations it sucks the exhaust up where I smell it all the time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll have to update my garage with new pictures when I get it cleaned up.
The left picture is obviously in stripped down cruiser mode.
The right one is mostly outfitted... I think it is just missing the lowers and grips there. No idea how I lasted with the stock grips for so long.
The Memphis Shades fork deflectors were the last piece of the puzzle to give me nice calm air behind my windshield. They were mounted upside down by necessity as the Cobra Bar and turn signals wouldn't permit them to be mounted regularly. But invertered, the tapering fits fine. I'll see if I can get a picture up tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
I'll have to update my garage with new pictures when I get it cleaned up.
The photo you have for your avatar is not your garage photo.

you have your 950 listed "in" your garage, but there is no photo there for it

click on my garage, then click on the small photo on the right side of the garage page to see what I mean, you can put a nice full size photo in that file space.

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
So that explains some of your forum responses!!
over the 20 years that I drove air cooled VWs, I was pretty good at recognizing when I was getting CO in the car - the heaters use a heat exchanger on the exhaust pipes, so any little leak blew the smell into the car.

I know that pure CO is odorless, like you would get from a hot water heater or gas furnace leak, but gasoline exhaust does have a bit of a motor / oil / carbon smell to it.

Riding a MC with no windshield is great because you do pick up every scent that you ride through. When I put the WS on angled the wrong way I can tell before I get to the corner of my block if the exhaust is backdrafting into my air pocket.

Is it enough to affect a rider? I don't know, but I don't like the smell - kinda like when you stop right behind a school bus...

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,464 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,407 Posts
Welcome to the forum from East Tennessee. I’m a 950er as well and I upgraded my exhaust and air filter system without breaking the bank. Great to have you with us!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome to the forum from East Tennessee. I’m a 950er as well and I upgraded my exhaust and air filter system without breaking the bank. Great to have you with us!

Thanks, Keith.

When you did your exhaust and air filter, did you then have to(or choose to) do your ECU/Fuel tuner?

·
Super Moderator
6,407 Posts
I added the XXX LA Choppers open air filter kit, a cobra slip on exhaust, and a cobra fi2000r fuel processor. I tweeked the settings until I was satisfied. The 950’s come very lean from the factory. I lost a little bit of mpg, but gained a lot more performance with the open air filter kit being the most noticeable improvement.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts