Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

n00b Question: Oil change on 650 Classic?

8K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Charon 
#1 ·
Hey all...

How often do you V Star 650 Classic owners change your oil?

And do you use synthetic or regular?

Also on that note...how many of you change it yourself, and obviously you own a stand to do so correct?

#2 ·
Oil Change

My Yamaha Trained mechanic advises the following.
I use http://www.castrol.com/en_us/united-states/motorcycle-oil/4-stroke-engine-oil.html
I change my oil every 5,000 miles, filter at the same time, I use FRAM ch6004, less than 1/2 price of the Yamaha OEM filter.
I change the rear end gear oil every other oil change (10,000 miles)
I now have 48,887 miles on mine with no problems of any kind.
I do not use a stand, I lay down, I take a 17mm box and remove the plug, I replace the plug crush washer every other oil change, no leaks, no problem.

Attachments

#3 ·
How often...What the manual says.
DIY or not...based on your abilities and wishes.
Use a stand...if you pocketbooks affords you one then by all means use one.
What oil to use...you will get as many answers as there are bikes. Any NON-energy conserving oil in the recommended viscosity and you will be fine.
Synthetic or not, personal choice.
I think most here will agree that when you change it is more important than what you change it with.

#5 · (Edited)
I have never owned that specific bike, but I have owned quite a few. I change oil based strictly on mileage (not time) as recommended in the Owner's Manual. I do not worry about changing oil before or after winter storage. Of late (the last several years) I have used only Shell Rotella, either 15W-40 conventional or 5W-40 synthetic. Both have the JASO MA rating; neither is "Energy Conserving." I change the oil filter as suggested in the manual, and usually buy the filter from my local bike shop since the few bucks doesn't particularly hurt me and does help the local shop. I can see no reason for buying "V-Twin Oil" since there is nothing about a V-Twin that should be any harder on oil than any other engine configuration. You, of course, can do anything you like.

By the way, I also have a Craftsman lawn tractor with a mower deck, which has a 25 horsepower 715 cc V-twin engine (90 degree V, if it matters). The recommended oil for it is SAE 30, or 10W-30 for use below freezing. It is about 12 years old and has about 650 hours on it. There is no call in the manual for "V-Twin" oil, and mower engines live a lot harder life than motorcycle engines.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.