Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Hahaha, which one of many should I choose, pauli466? How about the motorists who are staring straight at me (I swear we're making eye contact and I'm able to think "don't you dare pull out you mother*******) yet they still pull out into traffic causing me to get on the brakes pretty hard.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Drivers often cut in front of me pretty close on the interstate trying to squeeze between me and the car that is in front of me. Pisses me off, so I just gear down and speed past them :grin:

·
Super Moderator
4,450 Posts
Good topic. I sit in a lot of stop and go traffic. I hate it when the car behind is too close. I mean like a foot away. I've stopped before and asked the driver to back off. Sometimes it works and sometimes no. I'm afraid I'll be run over one day.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
I usually don't get annoyed or pissed off. Breath in, breath out. Ohmmmmmm..... o_O

the one thing that does worry me though is when someone is following too close on a single lane road. MSF teaches don't speed up, don't try to race them, don't slam on the brakes, just pull over to the side as soon as you can and let them pass.

BTW creeping cars at stop signs... I discovered with a rented F150 pickup a few weeks ago that some vehicles shut their engine OFF everytime you come to a full stop, even if you are stopping for 1 second at a stop sign, engine goes off.

I did not like that, and I quickly found myself slowing down short at red lights and stop signs, and keeping the F150 rolling just enough ... so... the .... energy ....efficient ...engine [OFF] Dam it! It did it again!

so yeah, that is a thing now. I'm sure there is a driver preference setting somewhere 6 levels deep in a menu to turn that off, but I was not about to fuss with it on a rented truck.

·
Super Moderator
13,043 Posts
How about the motorists who are staring straight at me (I swear we're making eye contact and I'm able to think "don't you dare pull out you mother*******)
didn't you just 'like' a post about specifically not trying to look into other drivers' eyes?
:wink:

·
Super Moderator
4,450 Posts
I usually don't get annoyed or pissed off. Breath in, breath out. Ohmmmmmm..... o_O

the one thing that does worry me though is when someone is following too close on a single lane road. MSF teaches don't speed up, don't try to race them, don't slam on the brakes, just pull over to the side as soon as you can and let them pass.

BTW creeping cars at stop signs... I discovered with a rented F150 pickup a few weeks ago that some vehicles shut their engine OFF everytime you come to a full stop, even if you are stopping for 1 second at a stop sign, engine goes off.

I did not like that, and I quickly found myself slowing down short at red lights and stop signs, and keeping the F150 rolling just enough ... so... the .... energy ....efficient ...engine [OFF] Dam it! It did it again!

so yeah, that is a thing now. I'm sure there is a driver preference setting somewhere 6 levels deep in a menu to turn that off, but I was not about to fuss with it on a rented truck.
My wife's truck has the same auto stop and stop feature. I found the off switch real quick, looks like this, on far right, if you ever drive one again.

·
Super Moderator
4,450 Posts
didn't you just 'like' a post about specifically not trying to look into other drivers' eyes?
I agree to drivers doing a annoying things, that's what I "liked". 👍

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
My wife's truck has the same auto stop and stop feature. I found the off switch real quick, looks like this, on far right, if you ever drive one again.
is that a Ford?

One thing I liked about the F150, I have a Fusion and most of the dashboard was the same,

but it did take me about 100 miles to figure out WTH the wiper knob was (could not see the symbol on it behind the steering wheel) and it took me 300 miles to figure out how to put down the center arm rest (had to stop for coffee, the button was on the far side of the arm rest where you could not possibly see it from the drivers seat).

That symbol looks like you push it if you want your Ass to fall off.

·
Super Moderator
4,450 Posts
is that a Ford?

One thing I liked about the F150, I have a Fusion and most of the dashboard was the same,

but it did take me about 100 miles to figure out WTH the wiper knob was (could not see the symbol on it behind the steering wheel) and it took me 300 miles to figure out how to put down the center arm rest (had to stop for coffee, the button was on the far side of the arm rest where you could not possibly see it from the drivers seat).

That symbol looks like you push it if you want your Ass to fall off.
That was an internet image but my wife's 2018 Ford Excape has the same button. Her Escape seems to have a button or gizmo to do just about anything. My wife says I have a case of noassatall, so maybe I push the button too many times. 😂

·
Registered
386 Posts
So do you have to turn the key or push the button to start the vehicle again if you stop? Sounds like a stupid feature and actually makes you a hazard.

·
Super Moderator
4,450 Posts
If you let the vehicle do it thing, it cuts off when you stop, like at a light, then restarts on its own when you let off the brake. It takes about one half a second. You can over ride it so it does not cut off. Actually it works pretty good. The only thing in Houston during the summer you need all the AC you can get. The fan still blow and the air stays cold for a few minutes then starts getting warm. So when you over ride the auto stop the engine stays running with AC compressor working. Hope that made sense.

·
Registered
386 Posts
If you let the vehicle do it thing, it cuts off when you stop, like at a light, then restarts on its own when you let off the brake. It takes about one half a second. You can over ride it so it does not cut off. Actually it works pretty good. The only thing in Houston during the summer you need all the AC you can get. The fan still blow and the air stays cold for a few minutes then starts getting warm. So when you over ride the auto stop the engine stays running with AC compressor working. Hope that made sense.
Yeah that explains it. Thanks. Better hope the battery is in good shape!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Works just like a hybrid. When you touch the gas the engine starts instantaneously. No cranking or waiting for it to fire. To me in stop and go traffic it would be a little annoying but beyond that, anything to save fuel is a good idea. Especially they way Ford's love gas.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
There is one thing that I dont appreciate. One of the great things about riding a MC is you are out in the fresh air, and you catch every scent you ride through: someone cooking bacon in the morning, the fabric softener from a clothes dryer, the pine trees by the stream you just crossed over, the linseed-oil like smell of corn drying on the stalk in the fields in the fall....

and unfortunately, the burning rag smell of every smoker that lights up as soon as they get in their car after work. They always have to open their window to share the stench.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Damn right I did, the part "congratulations. you're now all invisible." made me laugh... it's so on point.

As for the Ford truck, yeah it's so annoying. I can understand the reasoning behind it but IMO the implementation is wrong. I can see if you're sitting in gridlock or a train crossing and it shutdown after 5-10 minutes but in a matter of maybe 15-30 seconds is ridiculous. I can't wait to see how often the starters need to be replaced (because you know they're not going to just replace the commutator brushes). Another thing that blew me away was the truck's 10 speed transmission... 10!

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
there are hybrid cars that have electric propulsion motors. When you slow down for a red light the gas engine shuts off when you drop below 20mph, and it does not come back on again until you speed up to about 20mph after the stop.

Having the gas engine shut off at every stop when you dont have an electric motor that handles the first 20mph from the red light, that may burn more fuel than its saving.

It takes a certain amount of energy from the battery to restart the engine. You could measure that with an amp meter, and convert that to the quantity of fuel that has to be burned to put that energy back into the battery

then you would have a minimum time the vehicle would need to be stopped to break even by shutting the engine off. Then if you are stopped longer you are saving gas by stopping the engine. As long as the starter is not wearing out more than you are saving gas, its all good.

The problem with the non-hybrid truck just shutting its gas engine off when the truck stops is it has no way of knowing how long it will be stopped: 1 second or 5 minutes. In a non hybrid car it would make more sense to have a button you could push to stop the engine when you know the light is going to take 2 minutes. But the way its implemented is kinda halfast.

·
Registered
909 Posts
... The problem with the non-hybrid truck just shutting its gas engine off when the truck stops is it has no way of knowing how long it will be stopped: 1 second or 5 minutes...
One would think that could be a user preset. Here in The Lew traffic isn't too bad even during rush hour so rarely are you just sitting in one spot for more than a minute yet you can get stuck at a train crossing for 10-15 minutes. Being able to set it so that the truck shuts off after 7 minutes would make hella more sense than after 15 seconds.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts