Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
6,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any other NASCAR fans out there. Should be interesting, no practice after months off. Your favorite driver or team?

·
Registered
890 Posts
My favorite drive retired and just haven't followed it since they moved to Fox, I can get the other channels but Fox requires cable here and I cut the cord.
My driver was Carl Edwards, I still wear one of his Aflac Duck shirts

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
6,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was a Mark Martin fan for years. Then Carl Edwards and Matt Kenseth. When Kyle Lawson's mouth got him canned they said Carl was called first to finish the year for the 42 but declined. Matt is in it starting today for rest of season. They look like they are being cautious out there right now. Also good to see Newman back.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
I was a huge Mark Martin fan. Met a lot of the nascar stars at local tracks. Mark Martin used to drive an asa car for g&g trucking and i met him at the race shop. Talked to me like i knew him all my life. Two other real nice drivers was Bobby Allion and Darrel Waltip was very down to earth. Most of them were unless they drove for Penske.

·
Super Moderator
2,299 Posts
My one and only live Nascar experience. Fontana California I think 1997 got tickets from my rep. 105 degrees rode out and parked carrying a heavy leather jacket and full face helmet the crowd was heading in one direction and I followed them. It is a 2 mile track I stopped at every entrance and showed them my ticket nope no infield access here after about a mile the guy tells me it's on the other side. If I went the other direction it was 2 entrances away. When I showed them my ticket WOW I get taken to a golf cart and driven to Devilibiss spray guns suite. I walk in and AC aahhh. There is a full bar and buffet and three guys in suits nice guys. I'm long hair and long beard sweating my ass off after a few moments my rep shows up. Mark Martin is there. But all we have is a big window in a room over looking the starting line. Jeff asks me if I had been upstairs yet and we head outside and go up the stairs and see the whole track in a covered area. All we needed to do was ask and we got it. I kept a cup ice I chewed on and had a beer or three over the next few hours. Not sure who won.

·
Registered
2010 Vstar 950. Candy Red.
947 Posts
My one and only live Nascar experience. Fontana California I think 1997 got tickets from my rep. 105 degrees
Imagine driving a few hundred laps in 105 degrees in a fire suit. Woof. Those guys probably lost 10 pounds.

I have a nascar question: Do people follow the drivers more than they follow the cars? Everyone seems to be fans of particular drivers but no one mentions the cars. I would have assumed it was mostly a Ford vs GM vs mopar thing as God intended.

Dallas got an F1 race one time back in the 80s. July. Who thought that was a good idea? 100 degrees at start time. 150 degree track temperature and it started coming apart during the race.

A week after the race my father in law and I drove on the track since it was laid out in Fair Park which was mostly public road way. Still there although I doubt anyone remembers.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Pretty much the driver , NASCAR controls the cars so much the driver is just about the only wild card in the whole deal. Do you remember IROC series, they built identical cars and they drew what car they drove each week, the driver was all that was different. NASCAR has too many regulations, safety I agree with , I think that other then safety equipment , let them run what they bring. This is how we got some of the improvement to engines racers trying to get faster.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
I used to watch it until that fateful day at Daytona. Lost interest after that.
I was never an Intimidater fan. I watched the beginning of the race Jr. &Sr. were walking down pit road and i thought that is cool i like Sr. now. I was a Dale Earnhardt fan for 1 sad day. I saw a special report that night that said he died and i thought that can't be right.
They lost me as a fan when they went to split season coverage. I don't have cable and thought guess you don't want me as a fan. I will wathc when on regular tv but don't care about the chase anymore. The playoff scenario is interesting but that is not the real champ like the old days.

·
Registered
2010 Vstar 950. Candy Red.
947 Posts
By sheer coincidence I was at my cousin's wife's birthday party last night and her father is a huge nascar fan. He was at the inaugural TX Motor Speedway nascar race and he's been to Talladega and Daytona. And the Indy 500 a few times. Anyway, he says it is weird running the race in an empty stadium and he won't be watching with any enthusiasm . Also, being there is a whole different experience which I'm sure is true. The noise alone must be something. He's sorta lost interest in the last few years. The reasons were a bit vague, but generally I think it was because it all seems too much the same to an old timer. Cars, drivers, too much coverage. Something like that.

I knew the facilities north of Ft Worth were huge, but I didn't realize how huge. Almost 190,000 capacity. That's like 2 or 3 super bowls.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts