Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha XVS650 Dragstar Classic and 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering getting brackets to mount my old NC HD windshield on my Vstar 650 Classic, but I wonder if anybody has any experience with it on either the 650 or 1100 Classic?

Reason for asking is that I had it on my Vulcan VN800A, and it was brilliant. Plenty protection, no noise or buffeting. I then moved it to my Intruder 1400, and it was only so-so; quite a bit of noise, primarily. Later again, I fitted it to my first generation Virago, and it was so horrible I could not use it - the noise behind it was like sitting in front of a big propeller.

The primary difference was the angle of the screen, but also a bit regarding height; the flatter it sits, the better it works. Listed rake is the same for both the VN800 and 650 Classic, so in theory it should be good, but it would nice to have it confirmed, if possible, before I spend 200 bucks on brackets.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Apparently not the most popular choice in the world for this bike.

So, what kind of windscreens have people fitted to the 650 (or 1100) Classic, and what do you consider pros and cons of your choice?

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
11,088 Posts
Which I could help, only had stock windshield on my 1100.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That could very well be of help, Les. Do you happen to have a picture and a few words on how it worked for you?

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
11,088 Posts
Most windshields can tilt. You can tilt the windshield to where it stands up more or that the top lays back more. I found for me with the windshield tilted back I had the least amount of baffling. If you look at the picture, you can see the windshield is about the same angle as the front forks. Try tilting it and see if it helps. Once I found the correct angle it worked great for me.

Reactions: Boog and faffi

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you, Les! This is the benefit of having the speedo on the tank - I remember now that on the Intruder, the speedo prevented the screen from coming back. In fact, it sat slightly more upright than the fork angle.

Only picture I have of the bike with the screen on, angle not that easy to see from that angle. Notice my Rossi racing replica helmet :LOL:

Vulcan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts