Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just got my 2018 Blue Eluder and the dealer activated the navigation before I left and I set my Home and was on the way home and noticed the dealer didn't fill it so I stopped in and got gas half way home in the 1 1/2 hour drive. Started the bike up again and went into Nav and it said it wasn't ready. So I figured I'll get home and update it, probably needs the navigation updated as I read people having issues with the navigation and I knew it could be buggy. Luckily I remembered how to get home without the navigation!

I get home and install the Yamaha Toolbox software and format a 16gb thumb drive and put it in the bike and export the device ID and then launch the yamaha toolbox on my computer and insert the thumb drive and it says nothing about updates needed or anything. Updates isn't clickable either, but I can purchase it. So I call the dealer and tell them about the latest update requires the latest maps to install this R12.2.0 firmware that was released a few weeks ago, did you guys install the latest maps already as I'm not getting updates? I'm figuring Yamaha gives the latest updates on first activation as the directions are the same on the activation card, would make sense right? The salesman comes back after talking to his techs and say yes we installed the latest maps, go ahead with the update. So, I install the update and now my navigation is blown up.

If go into the screen where you go down to select Navi and it isn't selectable anymore. You play around or let the bike sit and come back and play around going through different random things and coming out and keep trying to click Navi and then it will start working. Try again and it won't let you click it again if you turn the bike off and turn on again or go into another section and try and get into Navi again.

I reverted back to R12.0.6 and the same thing happens. I purchased the maps and tried installing them and it will ask do you want to install and you say yes and it thinks for a few seconds and goes away. Then Navi isn't selectable again and after letting the bike sit and come back later you can play around and usually get it working again playing around. Not very reliable.

Any ideas on how to fix it now? I'm out of ideas? Don't really trust the dealer now. Think the touchscreen needs replaced?

Sucks the bike was hours old and one of the reasons for buying was having the built in navigation. I kept breaking the USB ports on the Garmin's I had from unplugging and plugging in so often. If I stopped at the store or something I would take it off and put in the saddle bag so no one would steal it and just eventually wears out the port.

Thanks in advance for any input!

·
Registered
84 Posts
If you still have your home info in the gps I would go into settings and see if you can delete it under 'delete all personnal settings'. Only thing I can think of for now.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I already tried that. I emailed another dealer and they open today so curious to see what they say. They have been closed Sunday and Monday.

·
Premium Member
2,766 Posts
If you still have your home info in the gps I would go into settings and see if you can delete it under 'delete all personnal settings'. Only thing I can think of for now.
Ok @cashxx here’s the scoop.
First off the dealership probably only installed software 12.0.6. That is not the latest software available. There is a map update which unfortunately costs $99 that you’ll have to pay for which includes USA & CAN. AFTER you’ve installed that map update, then and ONLY then can you install the latest software update. That’s the warning the site gives.
It warns that if you don’t do it in that order OR “if you install the software update without doing the map update first, it may render some functions unusable”.
Now, regarding the NAV being grayed out. When you start your bike up it takes up to 2 minutes before the NAV system boots up. For some reason it is slow to load. Did you check it again after your bike had been on for a few minutes?
At this point there are two things I suggest.
1. Make sure you’re giving the software time to boot up after you start the bike.
2. Check and make sure what software version you currently have. It should be
12.0.6 Let me know after you’ve checked that and we’ll go from there.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The bike was running R11.9.08.01 when I got it home. I have since purchased the Map update as mentioned before and it won't install from R12.0.6 that is currently installed, asks if you want to install, I say yes and it times out and nothing happens. I am aware of having to do maps and then the latest software. That is why I asked the dealer first if they installed the maps already as the card has the same steps and the Yamaha Toolbox wasn't telling me I needed updates when inserting the thumb drive, I thought Yamaha would push the latest down, but I guess not. Dealer lied and said yes they put the new maps on and to go ahead with the update.

When I started the bike up at the dealer when leaving the Navi was ready to go instantly and again after getting gas, it just wouldn't let me get directions as it said it wasn't ready, which I am now seeing that was a bug and fixed I'm guessing in R12.0.6.

I'll go out and turn the bike on and let it set and see if it takes a bit of time as I'm not 100% sure now. It was instant before.

Yea, I have 12.0.6 on it right now. Kinda like to get my hands on 11.9.08.01, but can't find it anywhere.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok @cashxx here’s the scoop.
First off the dealership probably only installed software 12.0.6. That is not the lasted software available. There is a map update which unfortunately costs $99 that you’ll have to pay for which includes USA & CAN. AFTER you’ve installed that map update, then and ONLY then can you install the latest software update. That’s the warning the site gives.
It warns that if you don’t do it in that order OR “if you install the software update without doing the map update first, it may render some functions unusable”.
Now, regarding the NAV being grayed out. When you start your bike up it takes up to 2 minutes before the NAV system boots up. For some reason it is slow to load. Did you check it again after your bike had been on for a few minutes?
At this point there are two things I suggest.
1. Make sure you’re giving the software time to boot up after you start the bike.
2. Check and make sure what software version you currently have. It should be
12.0.6 Let me know after you’ve checked that and we’ll go from there.
Navi is showing almost instantly today. Turned the bike on and off 4 times testing it and was ready to go instantly. It seems like it acts normal after it sits for a few hours. If I try and install the Maps update then it will get a little wonky again. Let it sit and then it will be ok.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting! I just looked at the mapupdate.iso on the thumb drive and it is 385kb in size, but if I mount it everything is blank and 0 bytes. Not sure if that is normal or not. Would think there would be some sort of files showing. Have 1 file that is version.txt and in it just says mapup : MAPUPDATE and a folder called mapUpdateData and inside of that folder are two others called DB and Map and both are blank with 0 files or anything. Went into the command line and trying to show hidden files, etc and still blank. This might be why my maps won't install! That Yamaha Toolbox is buggy! I'll format the thumb drive again and try it all again.

·
Premium Member
2,766 Posts
Interesting! I just looked at the mapupdate.iso on the thumb drive and it is 385kb in size, but if I mount it everything is blank and 0 bytes. Not sure if that is normal or not. Would think there would be some sort of files showing. Have 1 file that is version.txt and in it just says mapup : MAPUPDATE and a folder called mapUpdateData and inside of that folder are two others called DB and Map and both are blank with 0 files or anything. Went into the command line and trying to show hidden files, etc and still blank. This might be why my maps won't install! That Yamaha Toolbox is buggy! I'll format the thumb drive again and try it all again.
If you’re trying to do this on a Mac, scrap that and do it PC. Almost anyone I’ve found having weird interface problems has tried to do it on a Mac.

·
Premium Member
2,766 Posts
The bike was running R11.9.08.01 when I got it home. I have since purchased the Map update as mentioned before and it won't install from R12.0.6 that is currently installed, asks if you want to install, I say yes and it times out and nothing happens. I am aware of having to do maps and then the latest software. That is why I asked the dealer first if they installed the maps already as the card has the same steps and the Yamaha Toolbox wasn't telling me I needed updates when inserting the thumb drive, I thought Yamaha would push the latest down, but I guess not. Dealer lied and said yes they put the new maps on and to go ahead with the update.

When I started the bike up at the dealer when leaving the Navi was ready to go instantly and again after getting gas, it just wouldn't let me get directions as it said it wasn't ready, which I am now seeing that was a bug and fixed I'm guessing in R12.0.6.

I'll go out and turn the bike on and let it set and see if it takes a bit of time as I'm not 100% sure now. It was instant before.

Yea, I have 12.0.6 on it right now. Kinda like to get my hands on 11.9.08.01, but can't find it anywhere.
Ya don’t need the old version. 11.9.08.1 was the initial production software and was buggy. 12.0.6 took care of the known issues.

·
Premium Member
2,766 Posts
Navi is showing almost instantly today. Turned the bike on and off 4 times testing it and was ready to go instantly. It seems like it acts normal after it sits for a few hours. If I try and install the Maps update then it will get a little wonky again. Let it sit and then it will be ok.
I don’t know of anyone’s NAV system being immediately available. It takes about 2 minutes for it to fully boot up when powered up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I stopped using the Mac version. Completely useless and way too buggy. But not having luck with the PC version today. They must be having some sort of problems. Just keeps trying to connect. If you let it go, it will eventually load, but very slow.

I just went out to redo the thumb drive fingerprint after a format of the thumb drive and it took it a few seconds for Navi to come up live. I wouldn't say 2 minutes. Maybe 40 seconds or so. Didn't seem like it was 2 minutes, I'd say under a minute.

·
Premium Member
2,766 Posts
I stopped using the Mac version. Completely useless and way too buggy. But not having luck with the PC version today. They must be having some sort of problems. Just keeps trying to connect. If you let it go, it will eventually load, but very slow.

I just went out to redo the thumb drive fingerprint after a format of the thumb drive and it took it a few seconds for Navi to come up live. I wouldn't say 2 minutes. Maybe 40 seconds or so.
Didn't seem like it was 2 minutes, I'd say under a minute.
Ok, not bad. Yes, you’ll see the NAV button come up in that time frame but if you go into it then and try to do something, you’ll still see things grayed out until it fully boots. It’s just the speed of the OS.

·
Premium Member
2,766 Posts

I just went out to redo the thumb drive fingerprint after a format of the thumb drive and it took it a few seconds for Navi to come up live. I wouldn't say 2 minutes. Maybe 40 seconds or so. Didn't seem like it was 2 minutes, I'd say under a minute.
Let me ask you something. If I remember correctly when you first set up your Yamaha Toolbox, it asks you for what system ie PC or Mac.
You’re not trying to do this PC with a Mac setup designator for the toolbox are you?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Let me ask you something. If I remember correctly when you first set up your Yamaha Toolbox, it asks you for what system ie PC or Mac.
You’re not trying to do this PC with a Mac setup designator for the toolbox are you?
I'm not sure what you mean by Mac setup designator? On the site it gives you two downloads, a PC or Mac version. I installed the Mac version on my mac and found it was terrible and deleted it. Formatted the thumb drive and then went and downloaded the toolbox onto my PC from their site and redid the thumb drive from scratch for the PC.

·
Premium Member
2,766 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by Mac setup designator? On the site it gives you two downloads, a PC or Mac version. I installed the Mac version on my mac and found it was terrible and deleted it. Formatted the thumb drive and then went and downloaded the toolbox onto my PC from their site and redid the thumb drive from scratch for the PC.
Ok, that’s what I meant.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Are you able to open the Yamaha Toolbox and login? I just called yamaha customer service and the guy was lost.

·
Premium Member
2,766 Posts
Are you able to open the Yamaha Toolbox and login? I just called yamaha customer service and the guy was lost.
I haven’t tried for a while. Wife is using computer right now so I’ll have to wait.

·
Registered
266 Posts
If you’re trying to do this on a Mac, scrap that and do it PC. Almost anyone I’ve found having weird interface problems has tried to do it on a Mac.

I had no problem using a mac. The drive needs to be formatted with 32-bit windows, but then you can put the map update on the drive from the mac and load it. As for the software update, just delete everything off the thumb drive load the iso on the thumb drive (again from the mac) and upgrade the software.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had no problem using a mac. The drive needs to be formatted with 32-bit windows, but then you can put the map update on the drive from the mac and load it. As for the software update, just delete everything off the thumb drive load the iso on the thumb drive (again from the mac) and upgrade the software.
No matter what I try I can't get the maps update to go on. If you still have your drive, I'd be curious to know the size of the mapsupdate.iso on the drive. Mine is about 376KB and about 350MB being used fully on the drive with the fingerprint folder. Still seems small for map updates, but not sure. I don't think that mapsupdate.iso has anything in it, it puts the files in the fingerprint folders.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
No matter what I try I can't get the maps update to go on. If you still have your drive, I'd be curious to know the size of the mapsupdate.iso on the drive. Mine is about 376KB and about 350MB being used fully on the drive with the fingerprint folder. Still seems small for map updates, but not sure. I don't think that mapsupdate.iso has anything in it, it puts the files in the fingerprint folders.
Not directly related, but I had similar issues when tried to update MyFordTouch software in my truck. I used clean fresh thumb drive formatted to 32-bit and my truck just couldn’t read it. Swapped the thumb drive that I’ve used for updates before and viola - everything worked. I didn’t even format the old one and it still worked. So maybe try a different thumb drive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 40 Posts