Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To avoid further hijacking of RobG's thread "Warning - GPS Issue" which is in regards to a Canadian 2020 Nav (Garmin) I have created my own, 2018 US, ...issue... :-(

This past weekend, the main map page displayed "Navi. not ready" when I selected "Go Home". It took several minutes, and miles before the map came back. When I turn the bike off for refill, the "Navigation not ready" banner remained for the rest of the ride home. Since then it has not disappeared.

I have followed suggestions and checked that it is not still attempting to navigate home, and then I deleted "Home" and all "recents/saved" by using the "Delete personal data" option in settings. No luck.

The unit knows where it is. I can see street names at the top of each page, the GPS speedo also remains accurate. The unit can find destinations, but when I select one, and then "Go" the processing remains for a long time. Sometimes, it will eventually go to the "routes" page, and ask me to select other destinations...even after I supposedly deleted all the data...interesting... I have now done the delete twice...still no luck. Clear skies...Bike is outside, in the open, though it also reads well in the garage.

The only connection I can make is that prior to the issue, I followed instruction for the (MyRoute) GPX route creations app., found elsewhere on this and other forums. I had some success uploading a one-way route, but a round-trip route struggled to load, showed me a great map and the offered two destinations, the same start and end point. It was a day or two after this, that my unit went into its current issue.

I appreciate any help...
Rich

·
Registered
62 Posts
Don't know if this will help. This past winter I loaded some snowmobile trail maps on one of my Garmin units. After that I had all kinds of problems with the Garmin unit. Very similiar to what your seeing. I finally fixed the problem. When I went to maps in the garmin unit I had the Garmin default maps plus I had the snowmobile trails maps. Both were selected to be used at the same time. I deselected the smowmobile trail map and all my problems were gone. Perhaps when you tried to download maps you forced the gps into trying to route between two maps at the same time. How you would defeat this is beyond me. I haven't seen anything i n the gps where you can return to map default.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thanks Rich, we lost the original reason for the posting :) But as I just posted under "Warning - GPS Issue" it looks like this will be behind me tomorrow...finally.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well,
After following GARider and sdunker's suggestions, posted Wednesday on GARiders "Warning - GPS Issue" thread; the nav screen continued to display, "not ready". I had performed: "delete personal data" and then entered a destination, quit guidance, and then "delete personal data" again....I had to work a full day yesterday, so the bike sat in the garage.
This morning, grabbed a cup of coffee and went out with the intention of performing a battery-disconnect, but turned on the screen first...."nav not ready" came up as usual. I cycled through the main screens with the home button, and I wondered why the "Home button" would not go back to the map screen. Just as I was about to touch the menu icon on the screen, I tapped the home button one more time, and Lo and behold! under the metal roof of the garage, bike's info screens cycled, the nav-map screen loaded!
I had tried both "Ride with GPS" and "MyRoute-app" as suggested on other threads. Because I have a Mac, I also had to run "TrailRunner mini — GPX Viewer" in order to get the Mac to "see" the route and download the file to a finger drive (formatted in FAT32) both GPS apps did allow me to import a route to the Harmon Kardon GPS on the bike, but round trips did not seem to work, and shortly after using a one-way trip, the GPS on the bike would not move beyond "Nav. not ready". Another issue is that finding the "subscriptions" to cancel after the trial period was impossible... fortunately, my credit card on itunes is old and expired, so beyond multiple, irritating requests to update payment options, I have not been "harmed" by the trial.
There's my story - your mileage may vary...I'm guessing the real issue lies within the Mac to the bike, not the apps.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Back to the technology thread. I used to repair pcs back in the day. Windows 98 made me a lot of money formatting peoples pcs. I would get $100 to format and reinstall software. Now with the app world i stopped chasing my tail. I am really a hardware not a software guy. There is so much soft ware that will affect other software i kinda walked away. The last OS i liked was 7. My wife insists on mac so i fake my way thru that. My daughter installed her first operator system at 13. I made her in stall on a build that i made for her.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
... My daughter installed her first operator system at 13. I made her in stall on a build that i made for her.
Most of the year, I am fortunate to work with middle school children who are far more tech-adept than I. So there's ONE downside to summer vacation.... :wink:

·
Registered
445 Posts
Well,
After following GARider and sdunker's suggestions, posted Wednesday on GARiders "Warning - GPS Issue" thread; the nav screen continued to display, "not ready". I had performed: "delete personal data" and then entered a destination, quit guidance, and then "delete personal data" again....I had to work a full day yesterday, so the bike sat in the garage.
This morning, grabbed a cup of coffee and went out with the intention of performing a battery-disconnect, but turned on the screen first...."nav not ready" came up as usual. I cycled through the main screens with the home button, and I wondered why the "Home button" would not go back to the map screen. Just as I was about to touch the menu icon on the screen, I tapped the home button one more time, and Lo and behold! under the metal roof of the garage, bike's info screens cycled, the nav-map screen loaded!
I had tried both "Ride with GPS" and "MyRoute-app" as suggested on other threads. Because I have a Mac, I also had to run "TrailRunner mini — GPX Viewer" in order to get the Mac to "see" the route and download the file to a finger drive (formatted in FAT32) both GPS apps did allow me to import a route to the Harmon Kardon GPS on the bike, but round trips did not seem to work, and shortly after using a one-way trip, the GPS on the bike would not move beyond "Nav. not ready". Another issue is that finding the "subscriptions" to cancel after the trial period was impossible... fortunately, my credit card on itunes is old and expired, so beyond multiple, irritating requests to update payment options, I have not been "harmed" by the trial.
There's my story - your mileage may vary...I'm guessing the real issue lies within the Mac to the bike, not the apps.
Fantastic! Good to hear that it is finally up and working. Enjoy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts