Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I really haven't used my nav for any big trips yet, just local trips. So whats the best way to down load trips from my computer? As in website, app, what, where, how!! I know there is limited amount of way points. Thanks

·
Registered
85 Posts
How dependent is your on-board navigation system to a smart phone? I've always been disappointed and sadly surprised how cars and bikes seem to insist on being technologically immature/incomplete because they require an outside piece of equipment (smart phone) to function.

My old Garmin can fit in my shirt pocket and it is independent of any outside technology to function. One would think that with all of the bells and whistles touring bikes, and darn near any car with navigation capability, they'd have enough intelligence built-in to function alone.

I don't have a smart phone and have never really felt the need to own one. Since my Vulcan is of an early 80's design, there are none of the really cool technological things on board so I use my Garmin and/or road maps to get around and I manage perfectly well. That being said, I'd LOVE to have an on-board built-in navigation system but I really have no desire to have something that isn't a stand alone system (like the old school Garmin).

Does your bike need a smart phone hooked in to navigationally function?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Hi all. I really haven't used my nav for any big trips yet, just local trips. So whats the best way to down load trips from my computer? As in website, app, what, where, how!! I know there is limited amount of way points. Thanks
I have found the best FREE program to be TYRE. It works perfect. Just no more than 6 waypoints.

How dependent is your on-board navigation system to a smart phone? I've always been disappointed and sadly surprised how cars and bikes seem to insist on being technologically immature/incomplete because they require an outside piece of equipment (smart phone) to function.

My old Garmin can fit in my shirt pocket and it is independent of any outside technology to function. One would think that with all of the bells and whistles touring bikes, and darn near any car with navigation capability, they'd have enough intelligence built-in to function alone.

I don't have a smart phone and have never really felt the need to own one. Since my Vulcan is of an early 80's design, there are none of the really cool technological things on board so I use my Garmin and/or road maps to get around and I manage perfectly well. That being said, I'd LOVE to have an on-board built-in navigation system but I really have no desire to have something that isn't a stand alone system (like the old school Garmin).

Completley independent, just like a Garmin.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I have found the best FREE program to be TYRE. It works perfect. Just no more than 6 waypoints.

Completley independent, just like a Garmin.
Hey Rob, is the 6 way point limit a TYRE limitation? I know the SVTC has a 10 way point limitation.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts

The SVTC NAV system is independent and does not require smart phone for operation in any way.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Hey Rob, is the 6 way point limit a TYRE limitation? I know the SVTC has a 10 way point limitation.
No, I thought the SVTC was 6, great if its 10!
It is 10. I still think that’s anemic for a touring bike NAV system, but it’s better than 6 for sure!
I’ve figured out a “work around” for those who are doing long trips or cross country such as we are. We’re going to have multiple saved programs that have up to 10 way points PER DAY that we upload that days route at the start of each day.
Not as nice as loading the whole thing at once, but it’ll work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I buy my cell phones outright so the last time I upgraded mine I slammed my old phone (Pixel XL) into an otter case and I use it with Google maps offline mode. I have the better part of my area (100mi in each direction) downloaded and as long as the phone connects to my home wifi at least once every 30 days it keeps that info in there. You can even search locations and waypoints in offline mode. If I ever needed to go any further out than that I can always tether to my current phone or just use maps on my phone.

And because I grew up as the family navigator on road trips I have a paper map of the state under the seat just in case.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I buy my cell phones outright so the last time I upgraded mine I slammed my old phone (Pixel XL) into an otter case and I use it with Google maps offline mode. I have the better part of my area (100mi in each direction) downloaded and as long as the phone connects to my home wifi at least once every 30 days it keeps that info in there. You can even search locations and waypoints in offline mode. If I ever needed to go any further out than that I can always tether to my current phone or just use maps on my phone.

And because I grew up as the family navigator on road trips I have a paper map of the state under the seat just in case.
Glad that works for you @moetrain , but we’re talking ONBOARD NAV here.
Sure wish Yamaha would step up and do the software mods needed to correct the few but irritating issues.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts