Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I’m totally confused. I received my learners permit in October 2019. In October 2020, I received an extension, which I stupidly thought would expire on my birthday this month. When I went to renew my CDL today, I inquired about an extension for my motorcycle permit, because it apparently expired in May. Their response? I now must wait an entire year, until May 2020 and start the process all over again. Meaning, no legal riding for 10 months???

There has to be a way around it. The dmv guy was confused about the entire process. Anyone have any info about NC law?

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
this is what the internet says, why not just take the test and get the full license?

Applying for a Motorcycle Learner Permit
To apply for a motorcycle learner permit, an individual must have a full provisional, regular or commercial driver license and also pass a motorcycle knowledge test, road sign identification and vision tests.

Individuals ages 16-18 with a full provisional license must also have signed parental or guardian consent and successfully complete a motorcycle safety course offered by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation or North Carolina Motorcycle Safety Education Program.

Motorcycle learner permits are issued for 12 months and can only be renewed once for a period of six months.

Applying for a Motorcycle Endorsement
To apply for a motorcycle endorsement, an individual must possess a full-provisional, regular or commercial driver license and pass both a motorcycle knowledge test and then an off-street motorcycle skills test.

Motorcycle road tests are by appointment only on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays, as the weather permits, at select NCDMV driver license offices.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
See, that’s what I thought. I took the written test. Apparently, and I didn’t know this, that provisional was good for one year, plus a six month extension which I got in October. Extension expired in May. Now they are saying that because it lapsed, I have to start the process all over again, but have to wait a year 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
I have looked at all I can find on the NC motorcycle laws and I can't find where it says you have to wait a year. I think I would ask them to show me this law in writing.

·
Registered
44 Posts
MountainDrunk,

I live in NC and I agree with Jspree, plugging in the following search terms in google, I concur that the law states you have to start over again after your extension expires, (1st couple of links). However, there is no mention that there must be a years delay before taking the eye test, written and gaining a new learners permit. May I suggest you go to a different DMV office and try with someone who may be more informed. Worst case, pull out the big guns and take the actual documents you'll find in the search and ask them to show you where it shows a year must elapse before applying again. Best of luck

Search term(s) I used:

north carolina getting a new motorcycle learner's permit after expiration
and
nc motorcycle learner's permit extension

·
Registered
885 Posts
I don't know anything about NC laws, all I did was read what @Jspree posted. They way I interpret that is you are allowed one 6 month extension to the learners permit.

I think what @Jspree was suggesting was why wait for another learners permit. Why not go ahead and just do what is necessary to get an actual motorcycle endorsement to your drivers license? With the full blown license you would no longer need to worry about a permit.

Reactions: Deeksvstarclassic

·
Registered
5,724 Posts
I believe in Wisconsin you can only get 1 extension then have to retake the written test over. I am not sure if there is a wait to retake it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't know anything about NC laws, all I did was read what @Jspree posted. They way I interpret that is you are allowed one 6 month extension to the learners permit.

I think what @Jspree was suggesting was why wait for another learners permit. Why not go ahead and just do what is necessary to get an actual motorcycle endorsement to your drivers license? With the full blown license you would no longer need to worry about a permit.
That’s exactly what I inquired about doing, and was told it was too late. See, the NC offices are still in total disarray. There is one office in 8 western counties that allow walk ins. That’s the one I went to. All the others are appointment only, and they are running 3-4 months behind, and just started skills tests back after covid two months ago. So from what I can tell, I fell down a covid black hole on a technicality.

That said, I’m going to attempt to call another office and confirm.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I believe in Wisconsin you can only get 1 extension then have to retake the written test over. I am not sure if there is a wait to retake it.
Yeah, the DMV guy said that until a few years ago, you could do that here. But that guys were playing the system and never taking the skills test. They would get their extension, and every 1.5 years, they’d let it lapse a day, and go in and take the written test and start the clock all over again. So they added the waiting period.

I wouldn’t have had to worry, if they hadn’t suspended the skills tests due to covid during when I normally should have taken it.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Do they have it that you can take an MSF course and just turn that in to the DMV. Here in Florida you can take that or Harley academy and for $10 you get your endorsement.

·
Registered
08 Road Star 1700
912 Posts
Yeah, the DMV guy said that until a few years ago, you could do that here. But that guys were playing the system and never taking the skills test. They would get their extension, and every 1.5 years, they’d let it lapse a day, and go in and take the written test and start the clock all over again. So they added the waiting period.

I wouldn’t have had to worry, if they hadn’t suspended the skills tests due to covid during when I normally should have taken it.
In New York a permit is no good unless you are with a licensed rider. Is it that way there?

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
11,819 Posts

·
Registered
5,724 Posts
In Wisconsin if you fail your DMV test 3 times you have to take a course thru a dealer. You don't have to ride with a licensed rider but are resticted to no passengers, daytime only and must wear a helmet

1 - 13 of 13 Posts