Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I just changed the oil on my 650 V-star Classic & it had old Dino oil in so i replaced the oil filter to a K/N filter & put in Mobil 1 20/50 Full Synthetic & now the shifting has gotten really hard & when i come to a stop & try to put it in Neutral its almost impossible to do:mad: So i was wondering if i should go back to the Dino oil because when i used that oil it shifted good but i just wanted to go to Synthetic any help & info would be a great help & **THANK YOU IN ADVANCE**
Also the motor seems to have gotten louder when running & @ $9.50 a qt for the oil im not going to throw it away but i cant stand how the motor has gotten louder.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
A oil change should not do that. How about using a spray clearer and clean the shift peg and all linkages and then lube them . That may do it for you assuming the oil change was done right but the oil should be OK.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Hello, I just changed the oil on my 650 V-star Classic & it had old Dino oil in so i replaced the oil filter to a K/N filter & put in Mobil 1 20/50 Full Synthetic & now the shifting has gotten really hard & when i come to a stop & try to put it in Neutral its almost impossible to do:mad: So i was wondering if i should go back to the Dino oil because when i used that oil it shifted good but i just wanted to go to Synthetic any help & info would be a great help & **THANK YOU IN ADVANCE**
Also the motor seems to have gotten louder when running & @ $9.50 a qt for the oil im not going to throw it away but i cant stand how the motor has gotten louder.
Well, I must say as I have before, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" You can read all kinds of claims how great this one or that one is, some have an agenda ($) Imo, use what you like,and what works best for you;) Just me, what I have lived with:D Ride safe.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Sounds like you might have put the oil filter in backwards. See the three pics below. The extended side of the filter goes towards the motor. The flat rubber ring side goes towards the cover. If you put it in backwards it can inhibit/stop the flow of oil. By the way, the WIX 24936 filter comes with both o rings.

EDIT: Something I just thought of. You say you put in Mobil 1 20w - 50w. Is it the V-Twin oil for motorcycles? If it's the automotive oil it has friction modifiers which will wreak havoc with a wet clutch.

:)

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Could be dead ass wrong here, but from the pic I see, the filter is sittin in there bass ackwards. Either that, or, I have put it in wrong for 29 years on that filter.:eek: OR, I don't know what the hell I'm talkin about:D Ride safe.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Could be dead ass wrong here, but from the pic I see, the filter is sittin in there bass ackwards. Either that, or, I have put it in wrong for 29 years on that filter.:eek: OR, I don't know what the hell I'm talkin about:D Ride safe.
If you look at the NAPA picture (first picture) the cone end with the opening goes into the engine. The solid end goes to the cover.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Ok guys, no pissin contest here at all, but if you do your own, I think you will see the bevel end MUST face outward to work correctly, maybe we talkin differently on what we mean:confused:

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
LOL I love my ORK more everyday

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'll be doing my 650 Classic in the next couple of weeks so I'll see how the dealer installed the last one. To me, without ever seeing it firsthand, I would say the "open" end must face the motor. How would the metal bevel seal to the cover? How would oil get in the filter and out if the open end is against the cover and the sealed end of the filter is facing the motor? <scratches head> If I remember (I'm at that age) I'll take a picture when I pull the cover off and report back here.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Ok guys, no pissin contest here at all, but if you do your own, I think you will see the bevel end MUST face outward to work correctly, maybe we talkin differently on what we mean:confused:
What bike are we talking about here:confused: Is the 650 and 1100 the same:confused: you have a 1100 right:rolleyes:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
yes i put the open end towards the inside of the motor and the closed side towards the cover, also i paid attention to the old 1 that i took out to make sure that i put the new 1 in the same way.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I'll be doing my 650 Classic in the next couple of weeks so I'll see how the dealer installed the last one. To me, without ever seeing it firsthand, I would say the "open" end must face the motor. How would the metal bevel seal to the cover? How would oil get in the filter and out if the open end is against the cover and the sealed end of the filter is facing the motor? <scratches head> If I remember (I'm at that age) I'll take a picture when I pull the cover off and report back here.

Man, we have beat the hell out of this one, huh?:D Please do report on what you find out, ok? I got an ork on my 1100, so no issue there. The old 750 uses the same filter as a bunch of em for years, check and look, the metal bevel is not meant to seal against the cover, check where the oil flow comes from, you will see, I think, flow comes from the engine side.

The filter has a "flapper" (my word) valve on the flat end that must go on the motor side,that's where the oil flows from. Yamaha may have changed (doubt it). Not really an issue, I just did not want folks to put em in wrong, if I am wrong, at least we talked about it:cool: Ride safe.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK the filter was installed with the opening towards the motor which is correct contrary to popular belief ..lol and oil is drained so im heading out to put everything back together but this time im using Yamaha oil plus the guy at the Yamaha dealer told me if i wanted it even quieter to put in a bit of Lucas so im going to do that so we will see, oh and im going to clean & check all the clutch cables and fittings, i have my fingers crossed, oh plus instead of using the 20/50 he told me to go with 10/40 so we will see AND **THANKS TO EVERYONE THAT POSTED ON MY POSTING ITS REALLY APPRECIATED,** Im new at working on my bike and im not rich so i have to do things myself!!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
WOW i must tell you that im amazed at the difference in the way the motor sounds after the oil change from Mobil 1 20/50 full synthetic back to regular Yamaha 10/40 with a bit of Lucas added to it, and it made the shifting so smooth i hope i don't miss a gear...lol but again thanks everyone that helped me!!! RIDE SAFE EVERYONE!!!!!!!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Glad I got the 950, oil filter is so easy to get to.

·
Registered
239 Posts
WOW i must tell you that im amazed at the difference in the way the motor sounds after the oil change from Mobil 1 20/50 full synthetic back to regular Yamaha 10/40 with a bit of Lucas added to it, and it made the shifting so smooth i hope i don't miss a gear...lol but again thanks everyone that helped me!!! RIDE SAFE EVERYONE!!!!!!!
Ok...I just want to understand this correctly. You're saying it was the oil causiing the problem?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts