Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Yamaha Virago 250 2009, 5000mi. This bike now is just not loud enough for me the way I like it. What is the best thing to do? I have never messed with exhaust before on any bike and know zip about it except for a couple things I've seen here for larger bikes. Thanks Mucho, Wavelength.

·
Super Moderator
6,779 Posts
My son-in-law rides a 2012 250 and he wanted more sound as well. He wound up drilling three holes on the end of each muffler. He says it's more throaty and it'll work until he can afford aftermarket exhaust. YouTube also has vids of exhaust mods for the 250's. Hope this helps Wavelength.

·
Registered
257 Posts
As I've been told many times-if you want it to sound like a Harley, you should have purchased a Harley.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Keith Posts,
Yea, That helps a lot. Thanks for the post.

BruceandDixie, I want it to sound louder, not like a Harley. There's a difference. Thanks for the post.

·
Super Moderator
6,779 Posts
You're more than welcome my friend. My son in law was quite pleased with the results. Let us know what you wind up doing and what the outcome is.

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
You must also understand here that additional sound may sacrifice some of the minimal performance this bike has. Maybe 15 BHP.
Yes you'll be louder but your overall performance will most likely suffer.
Engineered Headers and aftermarket pipes are not as widely sold for small cc bikes like these. You may find one but will be few.

Drilling some holes in the muffler Is a (No going back) project.
What you might want to consider is to start small and enlarge
the holes per the sound after a test ride. Do not be afraid to get on it
a little bit. Also let off the gas in gear at speed to test for back firing.
open the holes up just enough and the balance your looking for will be
a post christmas gift.

jake RestoRides MotorSports

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Cards in the spokes would be a low cost option. Just remember to hide the rest of the deck from grandma.

;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts