Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 01 Roadie clutch slips when I gas her in 4th or 5th on the hwy. Fine on take offs and in town. Running Valvoline full synthetic 10w40, states it's for wet clutch applications. Stock clutch.:confused:

·
Registered
251 Posts
It's probably the OEM clutch spring which probably needs to be replaced. Barnett makes a clutch spring conversion kit(SR-2). I changed quite some time ago and it solved my problem. You could try a cheaper solution and change the type of oil and see if that solves the problem, but I suspect your clutch spring needs to be replaced. I would start with these options as a solution. Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I feel that you are on the money. That's the direction I'm going with Barnett clutches also. I have been around the block a few times with the clutch, I just ask in case someone has come up with something different. I come from the po' boys school of keepin' em running and I gotta get away from that mindset. : ) Can't always make new parts out of old ones ! : )

·
Administrator
13,280 Posts
my clutch just recently started slipping and the consensus is the friction plates need to be replaced. if you're gonna open up your clutch, definitely take a look at the plates for any excessive wear or damage.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It's not your friction plates, it's the weak spring washer they call the diaphragm. Don't waste your time on any other solution to this problem, like stacking 2 weak worn out springs, or changing to a different type of oil.

When you buy the Barnett kit listed above, your problems will be solved. The key thing to remember is when tightening the bolts, to use an Inch/Pound torque wrench. The 6 bolts holding everthing are not real strong. This is a common ailment of the Road Star, but an equally easy and permanent repair. Fix & forget.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would not recommend double stacking the diaphragm washers, it's a hill billy repair, and the barnett clutch kit is a complete fix and forget.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just because some other people stack 2 washers doesn't make it right. The whole diaphragm setup on the Roadie is weak, and the Barnett kit is a drop in replacement.

The double washer setup reminds me of the saying "never enough time to do it right, but plenty of time to do it twice". As always, it's your bike, so do as you wish.

My .02 - Gadget

·
Registered
3 Posts
Slips after new discs and spring

I have installed and removed replacement friction discs twice on my Road Star trying to get the bike to lock up like stock. The EBC kit came with a ninth discs that wasn't the same as the other discs so I left it out. I took 8 out and put 8 in. The new and old discs are within a 1/10th of a mm in thickness. So, with 8 discs there is almost a full mm give or take. The steels have very little wear. Then I read here on the forum that the wrong oil can make the wet clutch act like its bad. I thought I used V-twin specific Amsoil on the last change. If that's not it I'm going to try double springing it. Boy, if was oil I'm going to feel stupid. But my buddy is running the same oil in his new Harley and he hasn't had any problems.

·
Administrator
13,280 Posts
i'm curious about this 9th disc. when i replaced the friction plates in my 950, the front and back disc were different than all the other plates inbetween. i'm wondering if yours isn't supposed to use a similar setup. i looked up a 2012 road star clutch diagram and it appears the 3rd friction plate is different from the rest, #23. i'm guessing you should use that different disc, but check the part numbers on what you received in your kit.

2012 Yamaha ROAD STAR S (XV17ASBB) Clutch | Babbitts Yamaha Partshouse

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I took 8 out so I thought I would put 8 in. But after reading your reply, I went back to the service manual and low and behold that plate that was fixed to the basket has a disc under it. I generally suck at reading instructions thoroughly, but usually not diagrams.
Thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts