Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone... new member here!

I recently purchased a brand new 2015 V Star 950 Tourer with no miles (had been sitting in the back at the dealership all this time.) I'm very happy with it, a terrific ride.

But I need a fairing/windshield. The only one I can find is the batwing from Memphis Shades or the more expensive Tsukaya with radios, etc. The problem is that the Memphis Shades batwing is only officially said to fit the 950, not the 950 Tourer. I called Memphis Shades yesterday and that's what they said.

Does anyone have any recommendations on another fairing, or could confirm that the Memphis Shades fairing would actually fit my Tourer?

And then for a seat, I either need to buy a backrest for myself and then a backrest for my rider, or, a combined new seat which has both back rests attached. I have no clue where to begin on that. Any recommendations?

Thanks

·
Registered
489 Posts
James,

type "new seat" into the search window. That subject comes up a lot here. Also Lesblank and KCW seem to have special search skills. I think there are a lot more discussions than I found.

Corbin and Mustang are frequently discussed.

·
Super Moderator
6,006 Posts
Hey James,
The one that fits the base model and the tourer are the same. I bought mine at bike haven.net in Arkansas. It’s a MS brand and it fits perfectly. Had it almost three years and my bike is black so I didn’t have to paint it. If you go with a fairing I highly recommend the lower air deflectors, they will cut down on buffeting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,472 Posts
Everyone's back side is a little different, I had the Ultimate Seat on my 1100 and loved it. My wife really liked the wider and more comfortable Ultimate Seat also. Here's a good thread talking about seats. As you will notice everyone is different, but most agree, stock seat is a pain. 😀

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/49-v-star/1680-best-seat-ever.html

·
Registered
143 Posts
I bought my fairing, with tinted shield, radio, speakers, and power antenna ('04 R*) from Wide Open Custom dot com. I had an excellent experience with them; painted the fairing myself, cut a piece of thick alum. to mate their fairing bracket to my M.S. windshield bracket, and it's still going. I have replaced the radio (JVC) once. I looked them up for a buddy a while back; the price, just about a grand, is still darn close to what I paid.
Shortly after my purchase, a co-worked also bought on for his Honda VTX. He failed to first confirm that the fairing was correct for his bike, and did not discover that they had sent a Harley fairing by mistake. W.O.C. offered to replace and cover shipping...until it was revealed that the fairing had been painted... then all return options were removed from the table....but because it was less expensive than a Hoppes or a stock, he sold it for what he had into it.
Good luck!

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
If you are going to get on the interstate and cruise at 80mph, you want a fairing for the best wind deflection and pocket of still air behind it

you can get a traditional tombstone windshield and fork deflectors if you prefer the classic look, but they are much harder to adjust and dial in to prevent head buffeting, and at best they are just OK

if you are thinking of all day highway riding, you want a fairing, like a goldwing or the new yamaha venture

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
I had the stock seat on my 2014 Vstar 950t, bought in 2016 still in crate. This summer I upgraded to the Mustang Vintage for the model. So much better. Longer rides now I am not tiring or getting numb.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The Tourer should come with a windscreen and bags (that's the tourer package) so if you don't have those, you got short changed. I also have a 2015 950 tourer and got it with zero miles, much the same as you. I did add lower deflectors and they made all the difference in the world. I have no recommendation if you are wanting to get a batwing or similar fairing, I don't have one.

I did replace the seat with the Mustang seat and am very happy with the result. I used to get tired and sore riding for more than half an hour, now I don't even notice, it's just very comfortable.

·
Super Moderator
6,006 Posts
I bought my 950t used and the previous owner installed a mustang seat and lowers. So I was spoiled from the get go, lol.
Overlord is correct about the touring model coming with leather covered locking bags and a windshield, but I replaced the windshield with a fairing and what a difference it made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
The tourer also includes the passenger backrest. We have a 2009 bought used with 3377 miles on it in Dec 2011. I have installed the Ultimate seats (bought 1 piece at a time to spread out the total cost). I have installed a batwing fairing purchased from ebay for the 1300 vstar. I had installed my own stereo & speakers. I've been thinking about installing lowers because I'm getting air flow under / around the fairing and coming up over the tank hitting me in the chin.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The tourer also includes the passenger backrest. We have a 2009 bought used with 3377 miles on it in Dec 2011. I have installed the Ultimate seats (bought 1 piece at a time to spread out the total cost). I have installed a batwing fairing purchased from ebay for the 1300 vstar. I had installed my own stereo & speakers. I've been thinking about installing lowers because I'm getting air flow under / around the fairing and coming up over the tank hitting me in the chin.
You said you purchased the ultimate seat in pieces? On Ultimate's website it says that the drivers seat will not work with the oem passenger seat. Or did you get the passenger seat first.
I too want to purchase these in pieces but dont want to buy a drivers seat only to find it wont fit. lol

·
Registered
65 Posts
dnice950tour, I bought the passenger seat first because I wanted to try to make the wife more comfortable. This was the widest passenger seat I could find according to all the manufacturers measurements (I compared ultimate, mustang, & corbin). I did not buy the passenger backrest pad, still using the factory one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts