Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully someone has an answer or an idea of what could be happening to my 07 V Star 1300 Tourer. Ive had a problem with it stalling for over a year and thought I had the problem fixed but I found out it hasnt. Ive had a yamaha dealer help me and we couldn't figure it out. We even talked to yamaha directly and havent gotten it. What happens is I go for a 15 or more mile ride and on occasion I will pull up to a stop sign and my bike will have a very low idle and it will die when I pull in the clutch. It doesnt do it every time and it starts right back up after it dies if I give it a little throttle when starting it. Now as for the things ive done.. Yamaha told me to disconnect my power commander and run it on the stock computer. I did that and it didnt help. They also to me to check the throttle position sensor. We went into diagnostic mode and it showed it was working fine. Ive changed plugs oil and ran some combustion chamber cleaner in it. Ive tried seafoam and injector cleaner. We adjusted the power commander adding and subtracting fuel. Checking the plugs and they look awesome. Im wondering if although the tps shows its working in diagnostic mode it could possibly be going out? Any ideas or suggestions would be great. Im getting sick of it.. Almost tempted to get rid of it and buy a harley lol

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Hopefully someone has an answer or an idea of what could be happening to my 07 V Star 1300 Tourer. Ive had a problem with it stalling for over a year and thought I had the problem fixed but I found out it hasnt. Ive had a yamaha dealer help me and we couldn't figure it out. We even talked to yamaha directly and havent gotten it. What happens is I go for a 15 or more mile ride and on occasion I will pull up to a stop sign and my bike will have a very low idle and it will die when I pull in the clutch. It doesnt do it every time and it starts right back up after it dies if I give it a little throttle when starting it. Now as for the things ive done.. Yamaha told me to disconnect my power commander and run it on the stock computer. I did that and it didnt help. They also to me to check the throttle position sensor. We went into diagnostic mode and it showed it was working fine. Ive changed plugs oil and ran some combustion chamber cleaner in it. Ive tried seafoam and injector cleaner. We adjusted the power commander adding and subtracting fuel. Checking the plugs and they look awesome. Im wondering if although the tps shows its working in diagnostic mode it could possibly be going out? Any ideas or suggestions would be great. Im getting sick of it.. Almost tempted to get rid of it and buy a harley lol
the TPS could be malfunctioning itermittently when hot. try doing a ohms test while holding a hair dryer on it to raise the temp slowly while testing, if there's a air temp sensor it will also to be checked. if the ohms readings on the tps start changing drastically when heated you found the problem. if you cant find the ohms specs just look for big changes between hot and cold. i'v seen clutch drag cause stalls also does it ever stall in neutral or just when the clutch is pulled

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I havent had it in their shop I know the parts guy and the mechanic very well and theyve looked at it just never in depth theyve just had me try some suggestions theyve had. If you say temp would affect the tps more than likely thats the problem because it only does it when its it's warmer. My morning commute to work it has never done it. Only on the ride home at the end of the day when it's warmer. Fall and spring it rarely does it unless the bike is warmed up and its been a 30+ mile ride. Its possible it would shut off in neutral because the idle drops way low when its about to die.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I havent had it in their shop I know the parts guy and the mechanic very well and theyve looked at it just never in depth theyve just had me try some suggestions theyve had. If you say temp would affect the tps more than likely thats the problem because it only does it when its it's warmer. My morning commute to work it has never done it. Only on the ride home at the end of the day when it's warmer. Fall and spring it rarely does it unless the bike is warmed up and its been a 30+ mile ride. Its possible it would shut off in neutral because the idle drops way low when its about to die.
i think the tps and air temp sensor aren't interconnected but they both affect the idle. the tps is fuel and timing sensor and the air temp sensor is like a choke richining the fuel mixture when the engines cold. when they go bad the mixture go's rich when the engine's hot stalling it. fuel injection is sometimes difficult to diagnose espically an injector itself those can also partly fail when hot. i do some of my ohms tests with a hair drier in hand on things like were discussing. i'v seen too many instances of components testing good only to fail when hot

·
Registered
5 Posts
A bit late here, but did you ever Find the answer to this problem? I’ve got exactly the same issue for over a year. 2 different garages have stripped the bike down, It fixes it for a while but start doing it again with in a month or 2!

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
if taking parts off the bike and putting it back together fixes the problem temporally, that sounds like a bad connector or terminal crimp

when you un plug it and plug it back in it wipes the contacts or wiggles the wire, and it works for a while, then it corrodes again in a few weeks

could also be a bad ground connection on any wire in the fuel injection system that goes to the frame

the bike is fuel injected - does it throw up any fault codes?

can you put an OBD reader on it and see if any sensor is giving bad data while its acting up, like a temp sensor that jumps to -50° ?

the problem with intermittent faults on a bike, esp on a fuel injected bike, is you can only diagnose it while its in the fault mode

·
Registered
2008 Vstar1300
342 Posts
Have you tried adjusting the clutch cable.? if your pulling it in and it stalls it might not be disengaging properly and stalling the engine. try shifting into neutral around the same time if would normally stall and see if that helps . even though the free play might be correct, the cable could be stretched and not pulling completely .

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’ve had this problem for about a year, and still on going, I have a faulty red wire that’s coroded going to the fuel pump relay connector. I think there’s another break in it now as the fault comes back after a few weeks, I redo the wire again and it’s fine again for a few weeks, frustrating! Having another go tomorrow but a proper strip down. Sill keep you posted if any good news comes of it, I’ll possibly be trying some of the other things mentioned on here in case it’s just coincidence.

·
Registered
2008 Vstar1300
342 Posts
If you have a known bad wire I would consider replacing the complete wire.. or try making a full length temporary jumper the full length and see if that solves the issue on a good length ride or time running when you would normally see the issue arise. Might look into the connector and see if you might need a new pin .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Brilliant thank you, I’ll give that a go, as I’ve got a bit more time on my hands this weekend to do a better job of it! ;-)
I’ve had this problem for about a year, and still on going, I have a faulty red wire that’s coroded going to the fuel pump relay connector. I think there’s another break in it now as the fault comes back after a few weeks, I redo the wire again and it’s fine again for a few weeks, frustrating! Having another go tomorrow but a proper strip down. Sill keep you posted if any good news comes of it, I’ll possibly be trying some of the other things mentioned on here in case it’s just coincidence.
Just a quick one for anyone here that’s interested, but I stripped down my bike and put carb cleaner through my injectors. Which seems to of solved the year long problem! I Just connected a can of carb cleaner through several different sized bits of pipe onto the injector and connected the injector to a battery and fired the can a few times. So it cleaned out the jets. (I saw it on you tube) Put the bike back together and hey presto the stalling seems to of gone. ;-)

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
Matt, thats interesting

did you previously try putting a carb/injector cleaner in your fuel? Like Seafoam?

it should have the same effect after about 100 miles of hard riding, and it only takes a few seconds to pour 4 ounces in a 4 gallon tank.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi there, yes I used red ex, hoping it would solve the problem I used 2 bottles over a 3 week period but did very little noticeable difference. So I assumed it was a bigger problem than I previously imagined, however I thought I’ve got nothing to lose. So took it bits anyway. Wether it was the injectors or not or I’ve moved something during That’s solves it I have no idea. But its still working. Touch wood!!

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
intermittent cables and connectors are hard to debug

it could be where a ground connects to the frame

everyone checks all the wires, and forget about all the frame ground points....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts