Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought new lines to accomadate the new height of my bars and when it came to my clutch cable it appears that for some awful reason I'm unable to adjust the cable correctly. It's too sloppy and loose. Not tight. Can someone explain to me me what I may be missing?

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
6,897 Posts
What year and model of bike?

·
6,897 Posts
Normally the issue is at the lower end. Here's adjustment info.

·
6,897 Posts
Yes it can be too long. Hopefully I can explain. The outer sleeve can be any length, wrap it around the bike if you want. The important measurement is the free length measurement, see pictures. The free length is the amount the inner cable slides in and out of the outer casing. Slide the inner cable all the way to one end to measure. If the free length is short there will not be sufficient travel to operate the clutch. If the free length is too long there will be too much cable to adjust tight enough to operate clutch. Measure the free length of old and compare to new one. If they are the same, within 1 to 1.5mm the cable is correct. The attachment at the clutch end is a fixed distance and all adjustments is at the lever using the threaded cable end into lever and locking with thumb screw. Should be a bit of free play at lever, see photo. This is always difficult to explain without showing, so hopefully it made sense.

·
6,897 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
When was your last oil change?

I thought my cable needed adjustment because I did not like the way it shifted. Well, after I changed the oil. Big Bertha shifted much better.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The bike has been in it's modification phase for several months now. Pretty much inoperable during that time period....thats interesting....oil change you say?

·
6,897 Posts
If it's been sitting for months maybe clutch plates are stuck together and not releasing. KCW explained this not to long ago in another post. I couldn't find it so hopefully he will chime in.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I go to compress the clutch lever I feel a slip and the bolt down there that i tightened loosens up as well.

·
6,897 Posts
Are you saying that number 14 is spinning on number 10. If so you need to hold number 10 after adjusting with screw driver while tightening number 14.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When I compress clutch lever
#14 loosens up which makes
#12 dislodged from

I would reseat #12 back into #9 because of a rectangular cut out in #12.

Do you think I may have over tightened the screw?
By the way I very much appreciate your feedback everyone.

·
6,897 Posts
#12 dislodged from

I doubt it. Back off 14 and look at theards on 14 and 10. Keep us informed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
#12 dislodged from

I doubt it. Back off 14 and look at theards on 14 and 10. Keep us informed.
Roger that

1 - 17 of 17 Posts