Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I bought a phase 7 style light on eBay and need some help finding a suitable trim ring. It will fit if I cut all of the welded on pieces out of the original, but I'd like to save that in case I ever decide to return it to stock. Has anyone here done this before? Any experience out there would be much appreciated. ImageUploadedByMO Free1472945157.243844.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
571 Posts
I did the same, but bought the LED trim ring (https://www.amazon.com/Kuryakyn-Halo-Headlight-Trim-Ring/dp/B00514C1GG, but I got a much better deal on closeout), and just used that. No chrome, just the LED trim ring around the 7" headlight. The ring is attached just with strong two-sided tape. It looks "OK". I usually have my BW fairing on so you can't really tell there is not a chrome trim piece around the perimeter on the font of the headlight bucket. I also did the 4.5 LED driving lights like shown in your original post. Had to buy deeper shells for those.

Attachments

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks redcat. I just found a great deal on the kuryakyn headlight trim w/halo and I think I can make it work if I wrap some weather seal around my stock housing and just clamp it on like it designed. Found out some road King owners had to do that and it worked. Will post an update when it arrives and I get it installed.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did the same, but bought the LED trim ring (https://www.amazon.com/Kuryakyn-Halo-Headlight-Trim-Ring/dp/B00514C1GG, but I got a much better deal on closeout), and just used that. No chrome, just the LED trim ring around the 7" headlight. The ring is attached just with strong two-sided tape. It looks "OK". I usually have my BW fairing on so you can't really tell there is not a chrome trim piece around the perimeter on the font of the headlight bucket. I also did the 4.5 LED driving lights like shown in your original post. Had to buy deeper shells for those.

Is that the kuryakyn trim rings on your passing lights?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Steve, no. No "special" trim ring on the passing lights. These lights and shells are as purchased. The only real difference is that the shells are deeper to accommodate the LED lights.

The halo trim ring (with chrome outer ring left off) is around the main LED headlight.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gotcha! I didn't realize when I bought mine that you could get them already installed in shells. If I had I would have gone that route. Anyway, I was able to make it work with the shells I have, but man it was a tight fit!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Gotcha! I didn't realize when I bought mine that you could get them already installed in shells. If I had I would have gone that route. Anyway, I was able to make it work with the shells I have, but man it was a tight fit!
I bought the shells and the lights separately from two different suppliers. I had shells for incandescent bulbs, but they were way too narrow for the LEDs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts