Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

So I'm noticing a leak in one of the covers near my cylinders and I was wondering if someone can tell me what the cover is covering.

Here is a large view of the bike and the section the cover is located in:

Here is a Blowup of the Yellow Square from the image above:

As you can see the cover is bleeding oil and I believe its causing my bike to leak. It seems to be causing a good amount of leak:

Is it even possible that it would be leaking that much from a small cover like that?

Here are some frontal view of that cover:

At first, it seemed like a cover for the camshaft tensioner, but when I see the parts manual for the camshaft tensioner, the tensioners are on the other side of the engine:

Further researching on that cover and trying to find out what it is, I believe I found it in the "CYLINDER" section of the parts manual:

#6, 7, 8

It is labeled as "CAP/GASKET, TENSIONER CAS" which makes it sound like there is a tensioner behind that case. I believe the work that needs to be done is simply replacing the gasket behind that cap but I wanted to know if I would be able to simply pull that off replace the gasket and put it back on. I am aware that certain timing alignments are needed whenever messing around with the camshaft tensioners and I was wondering if I needed to go through that process if I were to replace this cover.

Does anybody know whats behind that cover and why it is there?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is what I originally thought too but when I wiped everything down and ran the bike, everything above the cylinder had no oil on it..

Also, is it the first pic of the bike or the parts manual?

Thank you so much :)
looks like the leak is above the cover i would suspect valve cover. valve cover is shown in your first pic, it's silver, oval with two screws.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Like Nick says, the cylinders are the same..you can use it on the front or rear just by moving the tensioner.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts