Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

I just did a pod air kit intsall on my vstar 1100 and am experiencing some issues. My setup is:

Cobra slip ons
K&N pod filters
147.5 Mains
Needles shimmed with 2 washers
AIS temporarily disconnected
Stock Pilots (17.5)

I get the hanging idle. I have to let it decelerate in gear for the idle to go down a bit but it still wont go down quite. Stays high when changing gears.

so i unplugged the speedo connector and no hanging idle but it pops like crazy on decel.

I checked the TPS resistance and it checks out as per the specs.

I synced the carbs and turned PMS at 3 and have been playing with the PMS a bit but cant seem to quite dial it in.

Q1. Im thinking if i turn the PMS out any further than 3 or more turns, might as well go up a size on pilot jets? is that a correct assumption?

Q2. Why would disconnecting the speedo connector have an affect on the idle? Is that a sign of a bad speedo sensor?

thanks

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
1.) Try turning the PMS in (leaner) 2 - 1/2 turns and see what happens....

2.) I think if you unplug the tank, it disconnects the TPS....which is not a good thing using the stock ignition box. (I don't have a wiring diagram with me to check)

First and foremost, the carbs need to be synched accurately and if there is a vacuum leak...that can also cause the idle to be messed up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for your help.

I turned the PMS out and its running much better. I think the hang idle may have been caused by carbs out of sync and lean condition and possibly bad gas in the tank.

the carbs are synched and i tried riding/ adjusting the PMS by ear untill the popping was mostly gone. It took between 3.5 to 4 turns on the PMS to get rid of popping on deceleration (it still pops a little every now and then but not a lot).

Most of the tuning guides suggest 2.5-3.5 turns with pods. so im wondering if i should go up a size on pilot jets and tune the PMS screw again. i'm at stock pilots right now.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
What needles are you using?

You could jump to 20's.....that's what I'm running.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I think that if it's running good the way it is.....just leave it. If you run into a set of 20 pilots some day....change them up. All that matter is that you're grinning....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts