Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could use some help troubleshooting my issue. I have a 2013 VStar 950 that quit starting a couple of weeks ago so we put in a new Battery and replaced the Starter Relay. Now we are having an intermittent fuel delivery issues. When switching the bike on, if we hear the pump priming, the bike will start but will die at random times during a ride like it quit getting any gas. Other times, when we switch the bike on, we do not hear the pump priming in which case the bike will not start at all. After switching the bike off and on several times, we'll go back to hearing the pump priming but will later die. Fuses and spark plugs checked out good, plenty of fresh gas in the tank, kickstand is down and bike is in neutral at startup sequence, bike get's used bi-monthly and has not been sitting for long periods. Is this a symptom that I got a faulty Starter Relay or is my Fuel Pump going out or any other ideas? Has anyone had a similar issue?

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
I would check the connections to the fuel pump relay , since you were working in that area. if not I would say pump , they can go intermittent when they start to go bad.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
10,478 Posts
Another check, the ignition switch connection. I had a bike that had corrosion in the connection. Sometimes I would get power and other times not. You said that sometimes after turning switch off and on several times it would work. Also check continuity on switch. Are you getting power to relay when turned on and in the no start situation?

Reactions: Jspree

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies @Jspree and @lesblank!
Checked out the ignition switch and the relay, no corrosion, nice and tight connections and was getting 12v at each. So, tore into the tank to get to the fuel pump next. I hope I've found the problem... the screen filter in the pump housing was breaking down and let some debris into my tank. Flushed the tank and blew out the lines today and will be ordering a new pump kit tomorrow.

For anyone trying to replace their pump with the $70 pump/strainer kit as opposed to the $400 OEM part...

I couldn't find any videos or how-to's for tearing apart the fuel pump assembly to get to the actual pump aside from this diagram but finally got it. Once it's out of the tank, Remove the two screws from the metal bracket (item 6) and then the top plastic piece (item 9) wiggles apart from the middle section (item 2). The middle section has a lid that snaps off to get access to the pump. A screwdriver fit through one of the cavities between this section and the base to pry against and wiggle this section loose from the base. The metal side rails in the base guide all the pieces together. The strainer (item 8) is located between the middle and base sections. Hope this info helps someone else out there, just paying it forward!

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Great Write up, please post a link to wear you got the rebuild kit for others in the future.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts