Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vstar 1100 was running perfectly fine, i was riding the other night and all my lights went out except for brake light but the bike stayed on. When i got home turned it off and attempted to start it again i get nothing. The lights on the speedo come on normal when turning the key but no lights and not even a click when i hit the ignition. The bikes does start when push started. Ive checked all the fuses and everything checks out fine, battery has juice, and grounds are on tight. What in the world can this be. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
there could be a corroded ground connection to the frame from the ECM, any ground wire that needs to be connected for the bike to run.

Its not enough to make sure the screw on the ground lug is tight, you need to take the lug off the frame and clean both surfaces so a shiny lug is touching a shiny spot on the frame.

or it could be a pin in a connector is corroded and not making contact on the module or wire harness section that it plugs into.

Usually when this happens its the black wire right from the battery going to the frame - but if that was bad nothing would come on.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
4,672 Posts
Welcome from Houston, Texas. A few years ago on my 1100 I had a simular situation. Turned out voltage regulator went bad, spiked in voltage, blew out most bulbs and fried battery in just a few minutes. With it running, check voltage at battery, above 16 volts, bad regulator. Post back results.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the warm welcome y’all! My buddy and I ended up going through the whole harness and cleaning every signal plug on the harness and terminals. Bike started right up and back on the road. Turns out it had lots of crud build up on some parts. This bike was gifted to me by a friend and sat outside for years. Thanks for all the tips !

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Thanks for the warm welcome y’all! My buddy and I ended up going through the whole harness and cleaning every signal plug on the harness and terminals. Bike started right up and back on the road. Turns out it had lots of crud build up on some parts. This bike was gifted to me by a friend and sat outside for years. Thanks for all the tips !
That is the best kinds of fixes the cheap easy ones. And you get some satisfaction of doing it yourself. Well done enjoy riding because i can't until spring.

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
good deal on the bike

never look a gift bike in the odo... or something like that

when I get a great deal on something I enjoy it all the more, but cant beat a gift like an VS1100

you have a great friend.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
4,672 Posts
Good news. Hopefully you used dialectic grease on all the connections you cleaned. It's a good practice to put dialectic grease in any electrical connectors to keep the crud from coming back.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts