Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

After my Yamaha Virago XV1000 died last month after 17 years of ownership I've decided to go the V-Star route. There are a lot of these models for sale used in my area so I would appreciate some help with which one to get. Right now I'm looking at two bikes, one is a Classic 1100 the other is a Custom 1100. I know the Custom has a taller front tire with spoked wheels vs. the fatter, shorter front tire with mag wheel on the Classic. Also the Classic has bigger fenders and floorboards with a heel-toe shifter. Are the handlebars also different?

I've never ridden a bike with floorboards or a heel-toe shifter before. Is this something that's easy to get used to and more comfortable in the long run? Any idea which handlebars would be more comfortable coming from the "buckhorn" style bars of my Virago assuming their different? Seems like the Classic model is more popular as I see a lot more of those for sale.

Both bikes have some of the same extras: saddlebags, light bar in front, and backrest. The Custom has engine guards and comes with a scissor lift; the Classic already has an oil filter relocator kit installed and aftermarket pipes with carb jetting (also includes the original exhaust).

Any other tips or advice would be great, thanks!

·
Registered
794 Posts
It took me all of 30 mins of riding to get used to the heel/toe shifter and I will never go back to pegs on a cruiser style bike again. That being said, I prefer the look of the smaller mudguards on the custom and might have bought one if the right bike had shown up while I was shopping. It's really about personal preference - the two bikes are so similar.

I will say that the ORK is a nice addition. Oil changes are a PITA without one. :D

·
Registered
570 Posts
I didn't use my heel-toe shifter for the first 2 years of ownership..One day I wore new boots that were a bit too big to fit under the front part of the shifter, so I started using the heel part and never went back :p

As for the bars, that would be up to you - everyone is different. I have 12 inch mini apes on mine..Anything below that and on longer rides I'd get a weird cramp in my arm..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, the guy selling the Classic came down in price significantly so that it's pretty close to the guy selling the Custom. Plus it's 5 years newer with 2000 less miles, not to mention about 50 miles closer. You guys think I should go for the Classic?

·
Registered
794 Posts
Sounds like a deal :) As long as it's in good condition and within KBB range for your area (and you like the bike) I would go for it...

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
If the owners will allow it I would suggest ride each. The only real differences between a custom and classic are cosmetic, which in turn effects rider comfort in some areas. You will be happy with either I'm sure. Personally I would go with the classic. It's nice having the bags if you need to carry something with you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the owners will allow it I would suggest ride each. The only real differences between a custom and classic are cosmetic, which in turn effects rider comfort in some areas. You will be happy with either I'm sure. Personally I would go with the classic. It's nice having the bags if you need to carry something with you.
Both bikes have saddlebags. I think the Classic has a fatter front tire, doesn't that help with handling somewhat? Still haven't gotten an answer on the handlebar difference. . .

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
The classic does have a wider front tire, along with larger fenders as you mentioned earlier. I can't say for sure but I believe they may have the same bars from the factory. That's not to say either bike you are looking at could have aftermarket bars.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts