Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 08 Stratoliner...only had it a few days now..Ride,s great..alsome power..any way was just waxing an other odd,s an end,s on it...It has Cobra pipe,s on it an a PcIII an a Big air kit...Runs super strong an very little popping..looked up in the pipe,s an seen it has no baffle,s ..Like i said run,s great..BUT should it have baffle,s Dont mind the noise, its only loud if yer getting on it...But with it not having baffle,s, in..Do i lose any thing like torque or HP..or can it damage the engine with out them.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Exhaust

Heavhyduty,

Not expert here but, I don't think you are in any danger. I have seen several similar setups here. I understand you may loose some lowend torque but make it up on high end.

I see reports that anytime you remove the Ex-Up valve in the stock pipes you loose some low end torque.

The PC lll should be making up for the fuel mixture being lean. Probably the only thing suffering is fuel mileage.

Biggest complaint is too much noise. Both intake noise and exhaust noise increases with mods. All in what you want. Some of the posts would indicate you gained about 10 horsepower over stock.

Dave

·
Administrator
13,690 Posts
did you bump your own thread? less than 12 hours after the original post? confused.

how do you know your pipes are supposed to have baffles? any chance your specific model didn't come with them? if you know your cobra pipes did originally come with baffles:
there are replacement baffles you can buy. sometimes, removing the baffles can hinder performance since it changes back pressure and reduces torque since those pipes were designed specifically for those baffles. any changes to performance should be remedied by the PCIII system but there are those that argue the PCIII won't make up for it (http://www.bigcitythunder.com/)

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/13/118/17363/ITEM/Cobra-Quiet-Core-Baffle.aspx

if your cobra pipes did not come with baffles:
leave them alone unless you really just want to get a softer sound. putting baffles in on pipes that weren't designed for them could hinder your performance since it creates a different exhaust flow and changes back pressure.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Sounds like a nice ride. I have the V&H 2-1 pipe on mine with the power commander. i don't know if it lost power in the lower range, but it's got enough power for me and sounds incredible.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts