Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello riders,

I am going on my first major tour soon about 2,300 miles, on my v star 950 Tourer. I am looking for a serious luggage piece that would sit on my rear seat and attach well to the sissy bar. Please note that I do not have a rear luggage rack behind the sissy bar.

It should have a way to attach a tent and sleeping bag, in addition to holding enough clothing gear etc. for about six days of riding.

I read the Kuryakin Full Dresser might fit the bill, but still need to check it out.

Can anyone, especially if you've done serious touring, recommend a good bag that fits my criteria? I'd also like to hear any tips or concerns on carrying/attaching this type of bag.

Thanks!
David in Florida

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Bags

Hello riders,

I am going on my first major tour soon about 2,300 miles, on my v star 950 Tourer. I am looking for a serious luggage piece that would sit on my rear seat and attach well to the sissy bar. Please note that I do not have a rear luggage rack behind the sissy bar.

It should have a way to attach a tent and sleeping bag, in addition to holding enough clothing gear etc. for about six days of riding.

I read the Kuryakin Full Dresser might fit the bill, but still need to check it out.

Can anyone, especially if you've done serious touring, recommend a good bag that fits my criteria? I'd also like to hear any tips or concerns on carrying/attaching this type of bag.

Thanks!
David in Florida
Well, I hope some of the other guys can come up with the posts, I couldn't seem to find it, but there was a discussion a while back on this subject with pics and all.I use bags that were shown, served me well, my longest is 9 days, I go various each summer, but most always a week. I turn the bag so it sits where the passenger would sit and use the velcro strap plus bungee and things are great. Have a great ride! Ride Safe:)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've been looking for a large touring bag as well. DMT Joy's suggestion looks good.

I'm happy with the quality of my smaller Kuryakyn bags and Kuryakyn offers the 4140 Touring bag.

This particular site offers the 4140 for $179.00 with free shipping. (I have no affiliation with any of these. Just my observations)

http://www.cycleluggage.com/kuryakyn_full_dresser_bag.html?gclid=CNTo8qaP-qECFc5i2godYirhDg

If you compare the specs you'll see this of note:

Kuryakym: Dimensions: 12" Wide Main Compartment (overall Width 18"), 10" Deep x 18" Tall (top compressed), or 25" Tall (top expanded).

Nelson Rig: Main compartment measures: 14"L x 8"W x 18"H Unexpanded, 14"L x 10"W x 18"H Expanded

I noted the Nelson Rig also comes with a separate roll bag for the top

I have no experience with either bag but just thought I'd share the notes I've made.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Tombstone,
the Nelson rigg also comes with a cover that can be used with the roll bag or to hold a sleeping bag or ??? on the main bag.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts