Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tired of "iron-butt" on long rides, both for me and my significant other. Want to replace stock seats but am overwhelmed by the many options. Looking at Saddleman explorer and also MidRider seats. Can anybody make any recommendations.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have an 05 1100 custom. I put a Mustang seat on it with a driver's backrest. I have used them on several bikes over the years and like them. they make a big difference for good riding. You're on the right track as it seems we will spend $10-25k for a bike but are reluctant to spend $500 or so for a good seat which makes the bike really enjoyable. the stock seat lasts about an hour it seems. New price with passenger is about $650. I found a like new one on CL for $200 so look around! Good luck and ride safe friend!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I put a Mustang seat on my 650 and won't sit on anything else!

But by the same token, a friend I ride with that owns an 1100 loves his stock seat. His is a Classic so are the seats different from a Custom to a Classic in the 1100 line like they are on the 650?

·
Registered
6 Posts
They are different. The classic has a wider bigger seat. Nonetheless I found them both too hard for me. Plus the gradual curve didn't help my bad back whereas the Mustang has a much better angle for back support! Everyone has different preferences though... I've tried Corbins and Ultimates and for me, Mustang is superior! :)

·
Registered
305 Posts
I just replaced the stock seat on my 650 Classic with a Mustang. All I can say is WOW! We used to take trips that were no more than a couple hours, but after the 1st trip with the Mustang seat, I knew I was in for a treat! On Labor Day, my wife and I rode 500 miles. Ultimate comfort! We used to dread getting on the bike for the ride back home after a long trip, but there was no complaining the next day when we had to rde another 250 miles to get back home!

Like Mcycleman says, spend the money! It's hands down the best money I have spent on my bike!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had an 1100 Custom up until earlier this year. I had a Mustang with driver backrest and loved it! I thought it was a significant upgrade to the stock seat. Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'd have no problem dropping $500 for a more comfortable seat IF I was reasonably sure that it would actually be a signficant improvement....but that's not always the case....plus it would take a long run or two to know for certain.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts