Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I'm pretty new here, one of my brothers recommended me to try this forum out. I recently replaced the starter Clutch on my Yamaha '07 Vstar with great success, but my Clutch actuator seems either too loose or too tight if i adjust it, not the same pressure it had before when it was connected to the clutch cable. did i miss something? i'm trying to get this fixed asap since it's my only reliable transportation to work, hate to loose my job, but i'm pretty much out of options .... been fixing this bike for nearly now 23 days ... ugh ... any tips, instructions or help of any kind would be great!:(

·
Super Moderator
13,217 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
When you say "seems either too tight or too loose" are you meaning that the clutch either does not engage fully or it's slipping depending on the adjustment? If that's the case you may be making the same mistake I did. The instructions say to turn the center screw using a screwdriver until you feel it stop, Then back it out a tad I believe. Well the touch is so light I could not feel it hitting the stop while using a screwdriver. I ended up turning it with my fingers. With that I could clearly feel it stop and have had no more issues. Hope this helps and I hope we are talking about the same thing.
If you still need help do like the others suggested and start a thread here...V Star - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you! I just got home from work, did my research, found out the names of the part, the "push rod" that connects from engine to clutch lever actuator... Is it supposed to feel loose or springy? To me it feels like it slips out too easily, and if I push it in it goes in but nothing seems to push it out, just feels like the Rod hit a wall and it's unable to further go deeper in the engine ... I know I'm missing an adjustment don't know what, but will try it your way for sure see how it feels ... Wish me luck, hopefully it's the same thing . ..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I followed the instructions ... Still the same ... The rod itself (which is quite long) has no pressure at all, I believe that perhaps the Rod is supposed to push outward so when I pull the clutch, the lever pushes the adjuster against the rod , correct? As far as I can tell, that rod goes in but does not come out ... Am I missing something? I know it may be simple but I just cannot figure it out :(

Attachments

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Well I followed the instructions ... Still the same ... The rod itself (which is quite long) has no pressure at all, I believe that perhaps the Rod is supposed to push outward so when I pull the clutch, the lever pushes the adjuster against the rod , correct? As far as I can tell, that rod goes in but does not come out ... Am I missing something? I know it may be simple but I just cannot figure it out :(
the rod goes thru the engine. it contacs the pressure plate, you would not be able to press it with your finger. the end of the ror that you are able to see has a slot in it for a screwdriver. and a lock nut. loosen the locknut then you can turn the rod.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@NICK27 THANK YOU! it was indeed the pressure plate, I re-adjusted it and managed to get it together in good timing before I rode it to work, quite a journey, for this is my first time getting this close and intimate with the V star engine ... it sure has taught me quite a lot, but i knew it was something simple that I've missed, thank you for the Tip sir! I will post a picture of the Bike later in the AM since i work third shift and it's hard to see the bike from where it's parked :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@nick57 THANK YOU! it was indeed the pressure plate, I re-adjusted it and managed to get it together in good timing before I rode it to work, quite a journey, for this is my first time getting this close and intimate with the V star engine ... it sure has taught me quite a lot, but i knew it was something simple that I've missed, thank you for the Tip sir! I will post a picture of the Bike later in the AM since i work third shift and it's hard to see the bike from where it's parked :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bike has done wonders :) ... But of course if it's not one thing, it's another ... After was say and done, the bike ran magnificently, expect that it was leaking oil so I had to replace the gasket .... Once done, I had put all of it together and to my surprise another problem surfaced ... The bike as soon as I shifted to first gear it stays neutral ... Light goes off and I can feel it change ... But it stays neutral ... 1st 2nd 3rd and nothing, still neutral, it won't go ... Now what? What did I get myself into now? It was running fine ... Now what am I supposed to check?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Bike has done wonders :) ... But of course if it's not one thing, it's another ... After was say and done, the bike ran magnificently, expect that it was leaking oil so I had to replace the gasket .... Once done, I had put all of it together and to my surprise another problem surfaced ... The bike as soon as I shifted to first gear it stays neutral ... Light goes off and I can feel it change ... But it stays neutral ... 1st 2nd 3rd and nothing, still neutral, it won't go ... Now what? What did I get myself into now? It was running fine ... Now what am I supposed to check?
that usually indicates a stripped drive spline. and what strips is the spline on pinion gear in rear drive housing. there's coupler that joins the pinion to the drive shaft that will also be stripped. when you get it apart it will probably be dry from lack of maintenance. the worst part is you can not buy a pinion gear or a ring gear so the whole unit will need to be replaced. used 3 to 4 hundred new 8 hundred, i'v welded a few couplers to the pinion and got away with it, but it's not the right way to fix it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts