Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went on a pretty long ride yesterday, got my wind therapy done for the week. Anyway about three hours into the ride and right after fueling up my bike started running like hell, I figured I got some bad fuel and it would work out so we ate lunch and headed on done the road, the next town was 18 miles and about half way the bike suddenly got worse, wouldn't hardly run, backfiring like crazy, my first thought was something bad wrong had happened, I limped it into the next town, found a parking lot and started looking it over. By now my partners had returned to find me so we all started checking it out, we found a breather hose that had come loose, didn't figure that would cause the problem but it had to be fixed also, we tore into the bike, had to pull the gas tank off to put the hose back on. While fixing the hose one of my friends looked down at the crankcase and asked if the pilot screw was supposed to be in the carb, somehow we had all missed it before, somehow it had work itself out and was laying on the crankcase.

A long story shorter, we barely got it started back into its proper location but that was it, no screw driver small enough to fit the head, my wife who chases us in the car with our kids was looking in every little place in the car and found some kind of long wood thing for her nails that had a screwdriver type head, we broke it so it was about an inch long and it fit perfect, job done except for one thing, I was afraid the screw would back out again since the spring was now missing, question? How do I keep the screw from falling out again on the way home? Someone hands me a little piece of their gum, I used it to put in the pilot hole to hole the screw, put the bike back together and took it for a test drive. Perfect!!

Headed for home and made it with no problems, I'm now ordering Maxair screws, I'm still wondering why and how it fell out in the first place.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Is it possible the spring was already missing? Glad all worked out well and safe.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
the exact same thing happened to me yesterday but it was a walmart parking loy. and i was buying a gallon of motorcraft 5w20 motor oil.Ihave the max-air screws and when you turn them out 3 turns out they are nolonger under tension from the soring.so one of them backed out one turn and the bike run rich. i removed the screw and added a drop of locktite... i would look into the other type of screw that is half the turn ..one turn out equals 2.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep:D, had to be pure pleasure for her, nothing less:eek::rolleyes:
She loves to chase us, were all friends and she feels like one of the pack when she goes along.

I was wondering what would happen if I used a longer spring, just a thought...I was looking at them tonight and the stock screws aren't held in by much when screwed out 3.5 turns, the bike runs great when set there so I would like to figure something out...never thought about using ATV after setting the screws.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1 - 9 of 9 Posts