Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking at a 09 vstar tourer for my first bike. 1 Would this be a good bike to begin with...and 2 how much would you pay for one or did you pay for one. The price is 8990 but im sure they will drop on that...i would hope neway...dont know alot about bikes but i have been doing alittle research, actually went and looked and sat on one today and it felt great. Please ne advice would be nice..thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Jason:

I don't know what size vstar you're speaking of. At the price you quoted, I assume an 1100? Basically you should never make any choices like bike size, how long a trip, or what kind of roads you ride until you are ready. I've have a 750 Maxim, Shadow 700 and now a VStar 1100 classic. I've worked my way up and I'm glad I did. Now I think I'm ready for a Roadstar. This being your first bike may or may not be an indication of how much riding you've done, but if less so, you should take a rider course. The Vstars handle real well and are user friendly. Good luck and be careful.
Jazzer59

·
Registered
11 Posts
Im looking at a 09 vstar tourer for my first bike. 1 Would this be a good bike to begin with...and 2 how much would you pay for one or did you pay for one. The price is 8990 but im sure they will drop on that...i would hope neway...dont know alot about bikes but i have been doing alittle research, actually went and looked and sat on one today and it felt great. Please ne advice would be nice..thanks
This is one of a dam good bike. Not too big not too small. the 950 have some serious power even more than 1100 I would say. The 950 come with fuel injection and air cool system plus belt drive. A lot of ppl i know just fall in love with 950 at first sight including me. The out the door price, I think it's good to start off at MSRP and see how dealer take it. I paid a little more but I live in So Cal and bought the bike at very first time I saw it without any studying.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sorry about that i was talking about the 950...it just felt right to me....thanks for the input ir really apreciate it

·
Registered
21 Posts
I wouldn't recommend buying a brand new bike for your first bike. As they say, there are those who HAVE laid their bikes down and those who WILL lay their bikes down.

I just started riding last summer. I bought a 1990 Suzuki VX800 for $1500. It was a great first bike in that it wasn't too small where I got used to a little bike. It was a good size, still only about 500 lbs and rode very easily. That being said, if I had it to do all over again, I'd get something newer with less problems. I had the bike about 11 months and put a mere 600+ miles on it because I had so many problems with it. Fortunately, I unloaded it the first part of July (about broke even on the price) and bought a 2000 V-Star 650 exactly one year to the day that I bought my other bike. I've had it three weeks and have already put 550 miles on it, and that's having been out of town for a week and not being able to ride.

Here's my advice:

#1 - Take an MSF Bais rider course. In most states this will satisfy your requirement to get a motorcycle license. This is good on two accounts - (A) you won't need to find a bike for the test and (B) you will be able to test ride bikes when you are shopping for them. Find a local course at http://www.msf-usa.org/

#2 - Buy a slightly used bike in good condition. I found both of my bikes on CraigsList. There arre tons of decent used bikes out there. Bikes like the 650 V-Star are basically the same bike from 1998 to present, so you might as well save some money and get something a couple years old, maybe with some accessories already and that is already broken in.

#3 - Buy some safety gear before you start riding. It will be well worth your money. Helmet, full finger gloves, boots and riding jacket at a minimum.

#4 - Once you start riding, realize you're still a new rider and be humble and aware of it. Go to a large empty parking lot and practice slow speed drills (cornering, turning, braking, etc.) Anybody can ride in a straight line - it's the slow speed stuff that will get you into trouble. Do them to get the feel of your bike and do them fairly regularly. I like to hit the high school parking lot on my way out if it's been a little while since I've ridden.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I wouldn't recommend buying a brand new bike for your first bike. As they say, there are those who HAVE laid their bikes down and those who WILL lay their bikes down.

I just started riding last summer. I bought a 1990 Suzuki VX800 for $1500. It was a great first bike in that it wasn't too small where I got used to a little bike. It was a good size, still only about 500 lbs and rode very easily. That being said, if I had it to do all over again, I'd get something newer with less problems. I had the bike about 11 months and put a mere 600+ miles on it because I had so many problems with it. Fortunately, I unloaded it the first part of July (about broke even on the price) and bought a 2000 V-Star 650 exactly one year to the day that I bought my other bike. I've had it three weeks and have already put 550 miles on it, and that's having been out of town for a week and not being able to ride.

Here's my advice:

#1 - Take an MSF Bais rider course. In most states this will satisfy your requirement to get a motorcycle license. This is good on two accounts - (A) you won't need to find a bike for the test and (B) you will be able to test ride bikes when you are shopping for them. Find a local course at http://www.msf-usa.org/

#2 - Buy a slightly used bike in good condition. I found both of my bikes on CraigsList. There arre tons of decent used bikes out there. Bikes like the 650 V-Star are basically the same bike from 1998 to present, so you might as well save some money and get something a couple years old, maybe with some accessories already and that is already broken in.

#3 - Buy some safety gear before you start riding. It will be well worth your money. Helmet, full finger gloves, boots and riding jacket at a minimum.

#4 - Once you start riding, realize you're still a new rider and be humble and aware of it. Go to a large empty parking lot and practice slow speed drills (cornering, turning, braking, etc.) Anybody can ride in a straight line - it's the slow speed stuff that will get you into trouble. Do them to get the feel of your bike and do them fairly regularly. I like to hit the high school parking lot on my way out if it's been a little while since I've ridden.

Excellent post right there!!! :cool:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just picked up the 950 for my first bike. I took it for a test ride and I found it a little powerful but I keep the speeds low and respect the bike. Handling is great and I don't feel that it's too much bike as long as you remember that it's a pretty powerful bike for your first.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I picked up a 950 for my first bike after taking the MSF course. It's a great bike and although I still have problems with slow maneuvers, I can always put my feet down to prevent dropping it. The MSF course though, as it was said, is a GREAT place to start. Not only do you get insurance discounts for taking the course, in California, you get to bypass the DMV riding test. That right there is totally worth it!

The 950 definitely has enough power for a first time rider. It also has enough power for experienced riders. Most of my riding buddies thought that I had gone out and bought myself a 1500 or something. They say that it looks big and mean. But yet, it's totally comfortable for me and I don't get overwhelmed when I pull down on the throttle in the carpool lane. :) If you have the money, the touring version is definitely worth it because you get the bags, windshield and what not. Now, you can always buy the standard version and then try to find those other pieces for cheaper. My leather bags only cost me $100 bucks including brackets, but I got a great deal. I highly recommend the 950.

You can also look on Craigslist.com for V-star classics and customs which you may get a better deal on. I've found some 2006-2007's on there for decent prices. My girlfriend has decided to learn to ride!! WooHoo!

Good luck with your search and your future purchase!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Glad to hear you fellas got yourself a shiney new 950. Those are SWEET looking bikes. It sounds like you're being responsible with it and respecting it's "authoritah". :D

Be careful, wear gear, and practice those slow speed drills.

Good point on the insurance, I forgot about that. It's 10% where I am and it's required by law to be discounted, so it's not just something the insurance company CAN do - they HAVE to do it.

By the way, where did you get bags and mounts for $100? The cheapest I've found for my bike were $200, used on Craig's List.

·
Registered
74 Posts
By the way, where did you get bags and mounts for $100? The cheapest I've found for my bike were $200, used on Craig's List.
The bags I got for $50 from a buddy who no longer rides and the mounts from Saddlemen.com. I went to their place of business and picked them up. Not a bad deal. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
First time rider, bought an 09 V Star950 Tourer for $8500 out the door in San Diego, several weeks ago. I am 6'2", 235lbs, and while the seat height is not as high as I would like it to be, it has not been a problem so far (200 miles so far). I am still breaking it in, but am pleased overall with the bike, the power, and the looks. What I read in the professional reviews on this bike pretty much is right on based upon my experience. The Motorcycle Safety Foundation Basic Rider Course should be considered a MUST. If anybody has good ideas as to how to mount a gps and 12v source, I would like to know. Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
From what I read, the 950 is one the best cruisers for a first time rider, with excellent balance and maneoverability, a sweet natured engine and lowest inclass seat.

The 950 - when it arrives tomorrow - will be my fourth bike. I'm trading in a Honda Hornet 600. I'll miss the 100 bhp and awesome performance of the Honda, but like others on here, I was just swept away by Yam's new 950. Had to have one!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Like my 950 Tourer!

Well I've now got 2300 miles on her (bought her new in September). The bike gets alot of looks, and rides very nicely. Very good power in the mountains (6000 ft.) even with 2-up. It's my first bike and only thing I don't care for is the low clearance and tendency to drag the foot pegs on corners. But no regrets! A great bike.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Arrived today! 100 miles now on the clock, enjoyed every one of them. Graceful round twisty Kentish roads, and stable at speed.

I'm in love... with a bike!!!?"!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have to add my two cents on the first bike idea. Bought a V-Star 650 as my first bike two years ago. Enjoyed it , but dropped it a few times while learning the"finer points" Buy a cheap light weight bike, take the advice of Bogie (or KlassicK100) above and buy the bike of your dreams when you are experienced and really ready. You won't regret it. You can always sell the first bike. Good Luck, be safe!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Agreed on the MSF course. I took one here in NY-I posted about it a few weeks ago. I learned alot of good stuff. Unfortunately, they removed the motorcycle insurance discount here in NY :~(

I too bought a new 950 and love it-approaching my 600 mile mark, its first service time!

Devilfish, do you have any larger pics of your bike with the bags on it? If so, can you post em? Can you also share the name and model of the bags as well? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
vstar 950

i got my v star 950 last sept. and put 1500 miles on it, im 5'7'' and it fits me well, my first ride with it is a blast, never thought that this bike can slice 90miles like butter with a hot knike, i tell you guys she's a mid-size but have alot of guts, this bike rides like a dream,its smooth and fast,my friends was surprise when i ride so fast that they have the (you know american favorite)cant keep up with my 950, they think im riding a 1700, hahahaha, this bike is a looker,just got it for a few months, and lots of folks is asking what kind a bike i have,this bike will really flood the market for sure, coz my cousin's try my bike and dicided to sell there bikes just to have this 950,i tell you guys this bike just dont look cool but rides cool as well, i cant wait for summer so can ride this baby again. my advice when you buy one just go with out the wind shield or sizzy bar, you can always buy then at a cheaper price, but (all the quick release)

·
Registered
249 Posts
sounds like a great bike. i bought a 2000 vstar 1100 custom and enjoy it also. i am new to riding and i have attended msf class, wear the gear, added a reflective vest, practice in parking lots, put about 2000 miles on between may to nov, it has been a great bike, no problems at all. i have added som small upgrades and it really is a lot of fun to ride. sorry they discontinued it this year. glad the 950 is such a hit also. ride safely, have fun.

·
Registered
4 Posts
pawpawmike

first things first,can you set on the bike and flatfoot the payement?
this means alot when your in trafic as well as just moveing the bike out of the garage..from the price you mention you must be looking at a 1100 cc v-star I ride a 07 v=star myself and for the dollar you cant go wrong after you ride for a while you will probably upgrade the seat and i sugest a oil filter relocation kit these are some well built machines be careful and take your time getting use to the bike: cool:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts