Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got this 2000 Road Star 1600 in trade. The previous owner was fond of chrome and there's chrome bits and pieces everywhere. I planned on eventually making a bobber of it, but first will strip it back to a more stock appearance by removing the chrome.

I pulled the shield and bags off which help a lot. (Who needs windshield here in FL?)

I'm curious, is anyone interested in these chrome bits? Would it be worth the time and trouble parting them out? For example, there's a chrome cover over the rear axle and over the rear brake filler cap. Sheesh.

Anyone want the screen? Custom bags?

·
Registered
85 Posts
A shield helps keep you from feeling like you`re being pulled off the back of the bike. It is also quite effective at keeping the bugs off and I know in Fla. you got bugs by the tons.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A shield helps keep you from feeling like you`re being pulled off the back of the bike. It is also quite effective at keeping the bugs off and I know in Fla. you got bugs by the tons.
Thanks, been in FL for 10 years now and I still remain an "in the wind" guy and have been for 46 years. :)

So, you think someone can use this shield and chrome bits? The crash bars seem extra sturdy (they came off yesterday).

TIA

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
I'm guessing Fleabay is your best bet parting that stuff out and of course we have a for sale forum here too which you can start with. Someone's always looking for something. Take some close ups of all the pieces you want to sell and put them up in the forum :)

By the way, the Roadie is a great bike (not that I'm biased).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm guessing Fleabay is your best bet parting that stuff out and of course we have a for sale forum here too which you can start with. Someone's always looking for something. Take some close ups of all the pieces you want to sell and put them up in the forum :)

By the way, the Roadie is a great bike (not that I'm biased).
Thanks. I will follow this course once I get all the chrome bits pulled. Someone might enjoy these.

To be honest, the cruiser is not my original choice of bikes, but this big twin, pulls like a freight train. I'm starting to dig the "Roadie" quite a bit.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Thanks. I will follow this course once I get all the chrome bits pulled. Someone might enjoy these.

To be honest, the cruiser is not my original choice of bikes, but this big twin, pulls like a freight train. I'm starting to dig the "Roadie" quite a bit.
If you end up keeping it you should join roadstarclinic.com you can also post things in their marketplace. You will find more people looking for Road* parts.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you end up keeping it you should join roadstarclinic.com you can also post things in their marketplace. You will find more people looking for Road* parts.
I tried to join roadstarclinic.com but they never responded to my request.

·
Registered
458 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Just a heads up as I am educating myself as well on these bikes. Your motor is the wrong color for a 2000 model. They were all silver from what I am reading. They went to black and silver in 2004 with the new motor for the 1700...

You either have a rebuilt engine, a hopped up engine, or a newer engine in that thing. Or someone just got creative and painted it black and sanded the fins to shiny for ya... I'd check the motor vin numbers and see what year it may be.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just a heads up as I am educating myself as well on these bikes. Your motor is the wrong color for a 2000 model. They were all silver from what I am reading. They went to black and silver in 2004 with the new motor for the 1700...

You either have a rebuilt engine, a hopped up engine, or a newer engine in that thing. Or someone just got creative and painted it black and sanded the fins to shiny for ya... I'd check the motor vin numbers and see what year it may be.
I couldn't find the VIN on the engine, but the black paint was likely applied by previous owner. It's flaking off in places. Even some of the bolts have a sprayed on appearance. Thanks for the heads up.

Point me to the VIN location on the engine and I'll cross check with the frame label. TIA.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Quick question - I have the same kind of air intake on my '02 1600, were you able to find a rain protector / nylon bonnet for it?? Dealer is coming up blank...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quick question - I have the same kind of air intake on my '02 1600, were you able to find a rain protector / nylon bonnet for it?? Dealer is coming up blank...
Never gave it much thought. When cruising, the front vents are closed and it pulls air out of the bottom so no direct rain. The K&N filter is oil coated which would help shed water.

Has this been a problem for you? I'd like to know. Haven't been in any rain so far myself.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've only had the bike since Sat, no riding in rain yet but came pretty close Sunday ;-)

If I can find a rain bonnet for the air intake I'd feel better...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes, that's the kind of thing I'm looking for, but what's pictured on that page is not made for the particular air intake that is shown in your picture... Can I go with part # 9335 or 8443 for the Hypercharger??

1 - 20 of 21 Posts