Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, bought a nice 05 V-star 650 Classic this summer after I got my motorcycle endorsement. Rode a bit this summer and now that winter has come my neutral safety switch seems to be leaking. My question is has anyone tried using a slightly larger O-ring? One with a cross section of 2mm vice the 1.96mm cross-section of the yamaha original o-ring. This would be the 29mm x 2mm (standard size) versus the 29 x 1.96mm recommended by yamaha. I am getting ready to fix this leaking oil issue, have purchased a new neutral switch just in case the ears on mine are cracked. Would like some quick feedback. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
I doubt that anyone could manufacture an O ring that is 2.00mm and one that is 1.96mm and be able to even measure the difference, from one batch of 1000 to the next.

0.04mm = 40 microns: the width of the hair on the back of my hand.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well that is exactly what yamaha does, I guess. Yamaha's O-ring is 29mm x 1.96mm whereas the standard metric O-ring size is 29mm x 2mm. Price difference is $10.00 versus 10 cents. I have the several of the standard 29mm x 2mm o-rings and would like to use one of those vice buying one sizd 29mm x 1.96mm for $10.00 at the shop. I think that with the bigger cross section of the standard size the neutral safety switch would be less likely to leak in cold weather. Has anyone ever used a 29mm x 2mm o-ring on the neutral switch?

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
the difference in the amount of squish compressing 40 microns would be un-measurable

thats what I meant, if you put a micrometer on it, its totally a manner of how much pressure you dial in to measure it.

same with being on the neutral shaft - it will be perfectly fine

·
Registered
989 Posts
I think it is just a matter of specs to me. Internal Yamma spec vs O-Ring OEM/supplier spec for exact same thing. I'd be more concerned about durometer/composition that define durability/mechanical wear resistance/chemical-in-contact resistance/compatibility than 40-micron difference which exists in the specs only IMO.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Boat.net has the yamaha o-ring in a different size: 93210-29196-00 O-RING (2.4-29.4). I have on hand a few (P26)216 o-rings 3.1 x 29.4 the cross section is 0.7mm greater. It gets pretty confusing at times trying to find the right size o-ring. I will try with the ones I have and in the end may just go over to the shop and purchase from them.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
i used yamabond #4 on the flange with a new o-ring installed and it never leaked again, make sure you don't over tighten those torx screws, just seat them with blue loc tite or the switch housing ears will crack again

·
Registered
989 Posts
i used yamabond #4 on the flange with a new o-ring installed and it never leaked again, make sure you don't over tighten those torx screws, just seat them with blue loc tite or the switch housing ears will crack again
Torque wrench is a mechanics best friend! )

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
that is unexpected.

I would think they would use screws with a shoulder that would bottom out metal to metal, and not crush the plastic.

These are the kinds of things you only learn from experience, and its better to learn from someone else's experience - so Thanks!

·
Registered
989 Posts
that is unexpected.

I would think they would use screws with a shoulder that would bottom out metal to metal, and not crush the plastic.

These are the kinds of things you only learn from experience, and its better to learn from someone else's experience - so Thanks!
Good idea KCW. Maybe some bushings ground to size would work if shoulder bolts are unavailable.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts